Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I cancel my holiday?!

(5 Posts)
whethergirl Mon 22-Jun-09 21:21:25

My four year old son has been really poorly, I had to take him the hospital in the end where he was a diagnosed with a "virus" (as always) and an ear infection. He was given antibiotics of which he has completed 4 of his 5 day course. For the first time in over a week I've seen some improvement in the last couple of days.
We are booked to go to Cyprus to stay with my sister for a couple of weeks, the flight is on Wednesday (2 days!) and I am in two minds whether to go or not. He is much better, playing again, but still pale and a bit weak, and skin and bone (appetite not fully returned). He had diarrohea once yesterday but none today.
I'm going to the docs tomorrow to get their advice and I know ultimately it's my call, but wondered if anyone had any similiar experiences?
It's VERY hot in Cyprus (currently 35 degrees daytime) so worried about the heat although the sea air might do him good. He does seem to be bouncing back very quickly.
I have been scrimping and saving for this holiday and it will be his first holiday and my first proper holiday in years. Having said that, his health is obviously priority.

Piglett Mon 22-Jun-09 21:51:49

As you say it is your call and only you will really know if he is up to it. Can you leave it until Wednesday to really make the decision. Children do "bounce back" very quickly and it may be that by Wednesday he is really on the road to recovery. i personally think the holiday may do him (and you) the world of good. Can you imagine how sick you will feel if you cancel now and on Thursday morning he is right as rain and demanding to go and see he is Aunty? Hope he is better and you get to go

whethergirl Mon 22-Jun-09 21:57:26

Yeh I never even thought of that Piglett, I mean he keeps telling me he can't wait to go on holiday as it is, I would hate to regret not going if there was no need to cancel. I could leave it to Wednesday, flight is not till afternoon anyway.
God knows I need a holiday, I've been looking forward to this for weeks.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 22-Jun-09 22:03:24

I'd go - take lots of Calpol and Neurofen with you and make sure you have your health insurance obviously but go - he will probably be fine. Obviously if he starts barfing and being ill tomorrow think again but quite often they get over these things and just feel a bit flat for a few days and can be cheered up by a change of scene.

whethergirl Mon 22-Jun-09 22:37:01

I don't actually think he will get any worse, he is on the mend now and getting better. To be honest, it was my aunt who called me and put me off, going on about how it takes at least 2 weeks for the body to recover from a virus etc.
You're right whomovedmychoc, whereas when we feel ill we don't feel like doing something like going out, kids often forget they are ill when they are excited about something. Only today, my dad came to sort out my garden, and he was running around trying to help, rolling around in piles of grass etc. I kept telling him to sit down and rest for a bit but he didn't want to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now