Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think my toddler fainted!

(47 Posts)
angrypixie Mon 22-Jun-09 19:55:25

My 16 month old little boy fainted today, I'm sure of it. I was there, as was our nanny. He had his back to us (standing) and was abnormally still, we called him and had no response. As I was walking towards him he crumpled falling heavily and hitting his head on the wooden floor. Thankfully he cried within a couple of seconds of hitting his head.

He was v pale and v clammy. For about half an hour he was v cuddly and still and pale (no temperature) after which he seemed to revive. He then played happily with his brother & sister, had a long splashy bath, a large cup of milk and went to bed at the usual time. (About 2 hours after the 'faint')

Any ideas/experiences? Should I have taken him straight to Dr?

Please

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 19:57:48

I'd have taken him to A&E, there could be an underlying cause to this so he needs checking over by a doctor.

angrypixie Mon 22-Jun-09 19:59:56

Oh no, I thought someone would say that. Well, I guess my plan is to check in on him every half hour tonight, until I go to bed and then emergency appointment with Dr tomorrow?

Thanks for quick response fluffy.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 22-Jun-09 20:02:18

HOnestly A & E.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 20:04:21

If you thought someone would say that then why did you ask?

If it were my child I'd take him to A&E and get him seen by a paediatrician.

totalmisfit Mon 22-Jun-09 20:08:32

just take him tonight. you won't get any sleep tonight anyway if you're anything like me, having to check on him constantly. better to be safe than sorry as i've not heard of fainting in a child that young before, personally and it could be sign of something worse.

MIAonline Mon 22-Jun-09 20:12:20

If you want a half way house of nothing or A&E, i would phone the Out of hours GP and get him seen. I would not leave it over night at all. Fainting in a toddler is very unusual and needs checking out ASAP.

NorthernLurker Mon 22-Jun-09 20:12:25

Take him to A&E now. It's not normal for toddlers to faint and tbh that sounds more like a blackout or seizure to me. It appears he wasn't conscious when he hit the floor and you are frankly out of your mind if you don't get this checked out asap!

psychomum5 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:13:52

he needs checking, so A&E is the place to head for.

good luck....hope he is ok.

DarrellRivers Mon 22-Jun-09 20:15:08

I agree
It doesn't sound right
If he was an adult with a known disease such as epilepsy, then fine to leave overnight
BUT he is a toddler and this sounds like a seizure
I'd get him checked tonight

morningpaper Mon 22-Jun-09 20:20:39

it does sound more like a seizure

I would treat as such i.e. kick up a merry fuss at the hospital pronto

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 20:25:13

Sorry, I was harsh. There's been alot of thread on here about children falling down a flight of stairs etc and the parent doing nothing.

I would take him to A&E. It's possible that it was a siezure, it could also be a cardiac problem so it really does need checking. I know you must be worried, it's important to get this checked as soon as you can though. I really do hope he's OK.

lou031205 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:29:24

It does sound more like a seizure than a faint, tbh.

smallorange Mon 22-Jun-09 20:40:57

My DD2 has anoxic seizures and it sounds very similar to what happened to your DS. They are in response to a shock, something minor like a finger caught in a drawer or feeling a bit unwell. If it is this, they are very common and harmless, so try not to worry.

He should be checked out though, just to rule out something more serious.

My DD2 had several seizures over a few months and saw a consultant neurologist to be sure of diagnosis.

The first time it happened, I took her A&E (called ambulance!) as it was pretty dramatic.

Obviously you should use your judgement about what you think you should do.

angrypixie Mon 22-Jun-09 21:16:51

Thanks everyone, will update later.
Thought you were harsh fluffybunny, I asked because I genuinely wanted advice. Thought it might be a bit pfb (even though he isn't) to rush to casualty.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 22-Jun-09 21:18:32

Good luck x

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 21:24:13

I'm sorry angrypixie. It's been a long, shite day. I'm not making excuses, I'm not always like this. I really am sorry. I do hope he's OK.

angrypixie Mon 22-Jun-09 21:27:34

Thanks Fluffy Bunny appreciate it.
Have been checking him every half hour he's asleep, nice and cool not clammy, even breathing but waiting for out of hours GP to call me back.

Thanks everyone, will keep you posted.

Wallace Mon 22-Jun-09 21:58:27

Good luck xx

giraffesCantRunA10k Mon 22-Jun-09 22:00:13

Deffinetly get it checked asap

MIAonline Tue 23-Jun-09 06:46:32

How is he angrypixie? smile

tjacksonpfc Tue 23-Jun-09 16:33:47

bumping for news how is everything pixie?

angrypixie Tue 23-Jun-09 21:31:10

Thanks for all your support & advice last night.

Spoke to out of hours GP who didn't see anything to gain from waking him but asked me to get him to the GP for first appointment today.

GP phoned hospital who wanted to see him and I took him down there this morning. Have just got home shock

Tested for diabetes - negative but the ECG showed a heart beat abnormality. Am being referred on to another hospital and am awaiting results of last lot of bloods. You were all right to pursue it, thanks again.

Wallace Tue 23-Jun-09 21:37:26

Gosh, angrypixie, so glad you got him looked at.

Let us know how you get on, and there will always be someone here who has been through something similar for advice and suppoort

MIAonline Tue 23-Jun-09 21:38:27

Must have been a stressful night and day for you angrypixie.

Glad you updated, was thinking about your DS today.

Hope you get the results quickly and don't have to wait too long.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now