Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD with a tooth cavity - I feel sick!

(14 Posts)
Songbird Sat 20-Jun-09 22:04:35

I'm really not a worrier, but this is making me panic. DD (4) was complaining of toothache earlier so I had a look and there's a massive cavity in her back molar. Annoying thing is I've noticed it before, but didn't recognise it, just thought it was food and made sure she brushed there that night. DH said he'd done exactly the same thing.

I'm going to call the dentist first thing on Monday, but this will be her first time in the chair! I'm so worried. What will they do? Now she's saying her ear hurts, which might just be her avoiding sleep (she in one of those moods even without toothache!!) but is probably related. She's had some paracetamol for the pain.

And yes, this is another 'she really doesn't eat too many sweets or drink pop' cases! And she is pretty good at brushing. It's heartbreaking! Bless her though, she's perked up at the idea of a sticker from the dentist!

hercules1 Sat 20-Jun-09 22:06:33

I believe you are meant to brush their teeth till around 6 although I admit to often letting dd 5 do her own.

hester Sat 20-Jun-09 22:09:43

Oh poor you. I'll probably be joining you with this, soon, as toothbrushing is a running nightmare in my house. Only thing I can say is that dentists are SO much better with children than they used to be. If you can keep calm and now show your dd that you're scared/upset, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Songbird Sat 20-Jun-09 22:10:11

Well, most times she brushes first, then we give her a quick once over to make sure. Just can't believe we didn't notice what it was. It's right at the back.

Songbird Sat 20-Jun-09 22:12:41

Thanks hester! I amazed myself with how calm I was when I noticed it. Was very matter-of-fact with her, it was when I came back downstairs the emotions kicked in! Have done a quick search for messages here and it's good to know I'm not alone. If she drank fruit shoots or coke every day I'd understand!

hester Sat 20-Jun-09 22:44:26

Don't feel guilty! When it happens to my dd, I will feel guilty - and should do - because she doesn't have a great diet. But it sounds like you do all the right things.

A dentist of my acquaintance tells me that people have varying bacteria in their mouths - some (like me) get away with eating vast amounts of sugar with no ill effects, others (like my brother) are unlucky and get tooth decay really easily. (He did during childhood, anyway - the problem seemed to go away with his adult teeth.)

Sassyfrassy Sat 20-Jun-09 23:00:07

I know how you feel. When we took dd1 (4) to the dentist last time she had a cavity and I was/ am so embarrassed. I have bad teeth myself so always make sure that I brush hers really carefully.

She needs a filling but won't let the dentist do it so we'll have to take her to a special clinic.

Songbird Sun 21-Jun-09 10:41:19

Thanks guys. I realised last night she does eat one or two biscuits most days, and they 'pack' into molars don't they? I think it's more poor brushing to be honest, which I'm really cross with myself about. I've got lots of fillings, and had a few in my baby teeth as well. She might just have inherited my poor teeth. Where I was born there was no flouride in the water, whereas where all my brothers were born there was. They were all crap at brushing when we were kids, but had few problems, whereas I was the opposite. Funnily enough, 2 years after a failed root filling, I've got to have a tooth out next month hmm

Elibean Sun 21-Jun-09 19:46:23

I ate biscuits, and was rubbish at brushing, all my childhood - had no cavities whatsoever. dd1, who is now 5.5, had to have 3 crowns and 5 fillings in January (to my utter horror) and she eats very few sweets, brushes/gets brushed twice a day, drinks water between meals etc.

Most of it is genetics, poor dd has inherited dh's teeth. I bet your dd has inherited yours! Do'nt feel guilty, really - no one is perfect, but some get away with it more than others.

BTW, the other big factor for dd was that her (beautiful) teeth are closely fitted - and whilst her brushing was great, we didn't think to floss a small child's teeth: all the decay was between the teeth, on inner surfaces we could neither see nor reach with a brush.

I now floss (most nights, still far from perfect!) dd1 and dd2, who is only 2.5, on dentist's recommendation.

Songbird Sun 28-Jun-09 10:19:50

Thanks elibean. I haven't been on the computer at all since last weekend! DD needed a filling, and she was as good as gold, bless her. She was protesting at getting her teeth brushed last night and dh said 'well, you don't want another filling do you?' and she said 'yes I do, I want another sticker' hmm

Songbird Sun 28-Jun-09 10:23:03

And as I've been thinking about it so much this past week, it's made me realise that we do essentially clean our teeth every time we eat something, picking away with our tongues, which dd doesn't do so much, particularly right at the back. And watching her brush, she really is good at doing the front ones and bottom molars, but has to be reminded to brush the top molars. The dentist said the rest of her teeth were beautiful! Still gutted, but hey, now we know we have to be extra careful, and it is just a baby tooth after all.

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 10:26:05

Message withdrawn

Gorionine Sun 28-Jun-09 10:29:35

I have 4 DCs, they do not eat sweet on a regular basis but they are not banned. DD1 has a cavity and had several other problem with her teeth ( one that keeps on braking bit by bit). All off them brush their teeth twice a day (we still do DS3 and DD4) I think there are just some people who have got better teeth than others.

Elibean, I have the same experience WRT closely fitted teeth and flossing for DD4(2 1/2 YO)

Songbird, tell her she can also get a sticker from the dentist if she does not need a filling!smile

Songbird Sun 28-Jun-09 10:57:45

Good point grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now