Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

rapid breathing in newborn

(9 Posts)
thisisyesterday Fri 19-Jun-09 14:56:05

ds3 seems to be breathing really fast, can't remember if it's just one of those weird newborn things they do ffrom time to time or whether I should be worried.
seems fine in himself, but breathing fast and his little chest is really moving up and down morethan normal.

what to do? he's a week old

luvaduck Fri 19-Jun-09 15:04:49

see your GP!

It can come and go, and may be typical neonatal breathing which is quite erratic. However it is impossible to tell over the internet if he is consistently breathing fast and its a problem.

it can be a sign of many things - infection, dehydration etc etc

You need to get him seen, no GP will mind seeing a week old baby. Call now and get an emergency appointment.

Let us know how you get on!

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Jun-09 15:10:42

it isn't constant, it comes and gos

me23 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:17:51

phone or page your community midwives or the postnatal ward, they may want you to come in so a paed can check him over.

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 19-Jun-09 15:17:56

My DS suffered from TTN (Transient Tachyponea of the Newborn) but ended up as PTN (persistent).

Not much notice was taken at the time, he was v ill in SCBU (for this and many other reasons) but it lasted for months.

At a recent MRI scan it was discovered that he has Persistent Ductal Arteriosus - a heart valve that should have closed at/around birth is still open.

Go to your GP.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 19-Jun-09 15:20:33

Go to your gp immediately. Could be nothing serious at all. But, if it is something that needs to be looked at, it needs to be done asap.

As someone already said, your gp, or out of hours gp will have absolutely no problem at all with seeing a week old baby who is breathing rapidly, or to be honest might be unwell in any capacity.

It will ease your mind to be assured all is well, and if baby needs some treatment, he will get it asap and get well again

Hope he is ok.

posieparker Fri 19-Jun-09 15:22:56

Go to your GP, if your baby's nostrils are flared or tummy and ribs are working too hard it is a sign of respiritory distress. At such a young age my dc4 was the same and I saw the GP everyday until he was better.
NO gp minds seeing a small baby for whatever reason.

luvaduck Fri 19-Jun-09 15:42:35

sorry just rechecked this thread.
hopefully you are now being seen.

to be honest i would just turn up at GP and ask to be seen (i'm a gp and wouldn't mind at all)

good luck. well put by pavlov - prob will be nothing but if its something needs to be sorted asap!

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Jun-09 19:09:58

hi, sorry i didn't return to this earlier. he woke for a feed just after i posted, and has seemed absolutely fine ever since!

so, will keep an eye on him as he has done it a couple of times recently and if it happens again will def take him to see someone asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now