Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sorry if a bit yuck, but DS, aged 3.8, seems to be leaking wee a lot...is this common??

(4 Posts)
OlderNotWiser Thu 18-Jun-09 20:59:45

Posted similar post lunchtime in Chat but got no replies so trying again here with the evening crowd smile

DS, 4 in the autumn, potty trained really easily last year and has never been a problem in terms of accidents. A while back tho, I noticed the house smelt of wee blush I blamed the cats initially, then decided that it definitely wasn't a cat smell and was a bit flummoxed.

Now, DS has a bit of a thing about having his clothes off when he is in the house, which is fine, except I started to wonder if he was going to the loo, then coming back to play still a bit 'wet', IYKWIM. Maybe the smell was due to that. So I've been insisting on pants-on. And sure enough, he has needed his pants changed about 6 times today due to large wet patches on the front. The patches happen at any time and seem rather random ie its not just a case of him leaving it too late to get to the loo. Is this kind of leaking common in a completely potty trained child..? Any ideas what its about? Today the house really reeks...totally vile. TIA for any thoughts!

thirtysomething Thu 18-Jun-09 21:03:04

No I don't think it's usual, sorry. If it was failry recent I'd have suggested a urine infection as that often makes kids leak a bit. Other possibilities are slight issues with foreskin tightness/ballooning when he pees then maybe a bit of wee getting stuck around the tip inside the skin and gradually leaking out? This would definitely need to be looked at by the GP. I would make him an appointment to see the GP as there must be a reason for it - probably only a little thing but still needs looking at.

Hope you manage to sort it soon!

Sidge Thu 18-Jun-09 21:08:26

It's not unusual but it's not 'normal' (for want of a better word!)

It could be due to an infection or constipation, or could be leakage due to a lack of regular toileting so that he is 'overflowing'.

Get his wee checked at the GP then try and follow a fairly regimented 2 hourly toileting routine combined with a good fluid intake (eg 6-8 drinks a day). The more the bladder is filled and emptied the stronger it becomes (sort of like giving it a workout like any muscle) and as it becomes stronger it is less likely to leak.

OlderNotWiser Thu 18-Jun-09 21:12:28

Thanks for your replies...I did wonder about infection. I think I will take a sample to the docs to be on the safe side. But yes, he does rather hold out on going to the loo so maybe he isn't going often enough. So a 2 hourly regime definitely sounds sensible if its not an infection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now