Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

would an allergy to suncream only show up on the areas it was applied to?

(3 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Wed 17-Jun-09 21:05:38

Bit of background.....

DS2 age 5 was off sick on Monday and Tuesday with a virus - fever, vomiting, general weakness, no appetite etc. I think DS2 and I had had it first, only milder with no vomiting.

By Tuesday afternoon he was fine, and ate a good tea and I was going to let him back to school today, Wednesday, as he seemed totally fine. But then I noticed a spotty red rash on his cheeks, and paler on his shoulders and tummy, so took him to the GPs to get it checked out.

I explained he'd been exposed to slapped cheek disease but the GP said it didn't look characteristic of that - he said it looked more like an allergic reaction. The only thing it could possibly be is we used some new suncream on Sunday - Soltan Once for kids. It was washed off in the bath the same day. The rash has only appeared 3 days AFTER using it. So I'm sceptical about what the doctor is telling me really.

Also, the rash is faintly on DS's buttocks and I didn't put suncream there as the area was covered by his swimming trunks anyway.

Would a sun cream allergy show up 3 days after application, and could it possibly be on an area of the body that didn't have any cream actually on that part?

uberalice Wed 17-Jun-09 21:07:21

heat rash?

CurlyhairedAssassin Wed 17-Jun-09 21:35:21

Maybe heat rash.....unsure.....would it appear worse on his cheeks than anywhere else?

In a way I would have believed the GP more if he'd have said "it's a non-specific viral rash, don't worry."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now