Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox under 1 year

(8 Posts)
yarrow5 Wed 17-Jun-09 09:00:13

Ds is 10 months and has already had chickenpox. i've been told if they get it before they are 1 they're more likely to get it again. does anyone know if this is true?

yarrow5 Sun 21-Jun-09 16:09:44

Anyone?????

rubyslippers Sun 21-Jun-09 16:12:35

not true

if they get it mildly, then there is a chance they can get it again but it is not to do with age AFAIK

hocuspontas Sun 21-Jun-09 16:13:46

dd1 was 9 weeks old when she caught it. And because it was mild the GP said she could get it again.

lljkk Sun 21-Jun-09 16:41:02

DD had it when she was 3.5 months old, still 100% breastfed. She is now 7yo and has been immune in many subsequent outbreaks among children she spent lots of time with.

I got CP as an adult; lots of spots but I felt perfectly fine; I tend to assume it must have been the 2nd time I ever had it since I wasn't in the least bit 'ill' with it. I was told by the nurses to actively go out and infect people -- this was before anybody knew CP was a risk to pregnant women -- just so they wouldn't get it as old people themselves. I went back to work having taken only one day off I was so bored.

yarrow5 Sun 21-Jun-09 19:17:45

Thanks. I know someone thats had it 3 times!

Is it only a risk to pregnant women if they've never had it?

lljkk Mon 22-Jun-09 13:09:54

I guess so, Yarrow, and (from what I remember) even the vast majority of pregnant women who get active cp the fetus won't be affected, even if the women is in the 1st trimester (which is the highest risk period). But obviously a tragedy for those who are affected.

I'm pretty sure that somebody on my last antenatal online MN group had active CP in the first trimester, but she was not truly ill with the CP, 2nd bout maybe, and the baby turned out unaffected.

Still -- most people would say you should still quarantine anybody with active cp or shingles.

I forgot to say that when DD had CP as a baby, she wasn't really ill with it and only had about 7 spots.

pinkmagic1 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:17:01

Mine both had it very bad at under a year and have been exposed to it quite a few times since, they are now 5 and 2.7 and have never contracted it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now