Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS 20 months suddenly has a very flaky scalp on the top of his head, what could it be?

(9 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Mon 15-Jun-09 20:00:23

I only noticed this a few days ago, didn't think much of it until I read it might be a fungal infection of sorts? I tried to pick bits of it off but the hair came out with it (as in it came out really too easily). The flakes are quite big in places so it's not dandruff. And it's only on the top of his head. He doesn't seem in any discomfort but doesn't like me poking around. He is 20 months old, any advice? Thanks

LIZS Mon 15-Jun-09 21:04:22

Cradle cap ? Has he had a cold or virus recnelty , can dry the skin out.

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 15-Jun-09 21:08:35

I don't think it's cradle cap as it's just in one area and the flakes are quite big. I've been googling and now wondering if it's ringworm? Yikes.

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 15-Jun-09 21:08:59

It could be cradle cap. I wouldn't pick at the flakes. Have you tried rubbing olive oil into it, leaving it overnight and gently combing the flakes out?

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 15-Jun-09 21:21:18

No not tried any oil on it yet, I'm just a bit worried as the hair is coming out when I have picked the flakes!

mum2RandR Tue 16-Jun-09 06:53:44

Could he have got sunburned? I burnt my scalp along the parting in my hair the other day and its been really flaky ever since.

PortAndLemon Tue 16-Jun-09 06:57:23

When you say "really big", how big is really big?

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 16-Jun-09 20:44:21

Hiya, I took DS to the GP today and he diagnosed some form of dermatitis so prescribed a special type of shampoo to use 2x/week. Hopefully that will do the trick! It actually smells quite nice too Thanks for all your replies.

MoominMymbleandMy Tue 16-Jun-09 22:09:45

Sebaceous dermatitis? My DS had that during a bad eczema flare-up and it looked like I was combing cornflakes out of his hair. A mild steroid cleared it up, thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now