Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What doe Chicken Pox look like when it first appears?

(8 Posts)
ministryofsleep Mon 15-Jun-09 19:22:15

DS1 (3.6) has a temp and 2 red spots, one on his back and one in his groin, they are raised and red with a yellow centre, does this sound like chicken pox?

LisaJasper Mon 15-Jun-09 19:24:23

It sounds like it to me, my two have just got over chicken pox! If it is chicken pox by tomorrow he'll wake up with lots more and you will know for sure.

ministryofsleep Mon 15-Jun-09 19:25:18

Hi LisaJasper - thanks for the quick response - how old were they and how poorly were they?

Tambajam Mon 15-Jun-09 19:25:49

Yes, the little centre is classic. Sometimes described as being like a dewdrop. Looks like a bead of moisture. That develops later though and very first off it's just a red pin prick if you happen to see the first stage.

LisaJasper Mon 15-Jun-09 19:33:10

Mine were 23 months and 4 months, they were ok for the first couple of days and then about 3 days in they older one started to complain about the spots being sore (he didn't understand what itching was) and had two horrendous nights sleep (literally 4-5 hours each night), I gave paracetamol, ibuprofen and piriton plus calamine lotion, sudacrem and aqueous cream on the spots, the baby faired better but had a couple of nights waking up more often and a couple of grumpy days. I used bicarb of soda in the bath as that was recommended not sure what it does but the only night I didn't bath them was the worst maybe a coincidence though! It was awful at the time but a week on all we are left with is some scabs and they shouldn't get it again! They were absolutely covered in hundreds of spots though so it might be easier for you!

ministryofsleep Mon 15-Jun-09 19:36:51

thanks LisaJasper, mine are 3.6 and 18 months - have been dreading them catching it - will let you know if the spots have spread in the morning grin

ministryofsleep Tue 16-Jun-09 08:30:20

It's definitely chicken pox - about 20 spots this morning

LIZS Tue 16-Jun-09 08:34:15

Insect bites which have a pusy centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now