Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds just diagnosed with Eczema - need some advice

(11 Posts)
GillL Mon 15-Jun-09 08:51:21

Ds (22 months) has recently become covered in spots. He started off a couple of months ago with a patch of very light pink spots on his tummy but in the last week or so it has spread all over his body. The doctor told me it was eczema and has prescribed Oilatum moisturiser and Hydrocortisone cream. I've been doing some research online and every web site I have found describes it as dry itchy patches of skin in the creases of the joints. There is no mention of spots. I was wondering perhaps if the spots could be a reaction to the suncream I've been putting on him (Boots Soltan kids) or if the spots are normal.

sleepsforwimps Mon 15-Jun-09 10:03:19

Both my dc have eczema and both have spots appear with it, both started quite bad then it calmed down and now my dd just has a patch on her shoulder and my ds a patch on his face. I find oilatum bath emollient keeps it at bay. I also use Halos n' Horns shampoo as it doesn't have any of the chemical nasties in it.

The suncream might have flared it up, I found E45 products irritate my dd's, try a different make he may be fine with a different one.

Also different makes of wipes can flare up my dd's which might be worth watching out for too.

GillL Mon 15-Jun-09 13:48:02

Thanks sleepsforwimps (like the name smile)

I'll have a look for a new suncream. Can you recommend any?

cuppachar Tue 16-Jun-09 19:54:04

DD has eczema and we use Baby Soltan from Boots. However each child can react to something different so all you can really do is see what works for you.

puffylovett Tue 16-Jun-09 22:22:40

My DS's eczema always starts with what looks like a rash before developing into a scaly patch.

I tend to try and keep it at bay using cream and fish oil (internally) - our current fave cream is the Vogel Neem Cream.

I do find that he reacts to suncream - the best one I've found is the Green People No Scent one, but he even reacts to that sometimes. If you do a search on history you'll find loads of recommendations.

HTH

cuppachar Tue 16-Jun-09 22:30:01

DD has reacted to almost every eczema cream we've ever been prescribed (and that's a lot!) but for some reason she was fine with the very first sun cream we tried. Maybe it's sheer luck or maybe it's because it gets absorbed into the skin less as it's intended as a barrier? Not sure really...

MegBusset Tue 16-Jun-09 22:31:51

DS1 has eczema and it does tend to show up as spots on his torso -- on his arms and legs it tends to be scaly/red patches.

We use E45 suncream and have had no problems with it.

Cocogarden Wed 17-Jun-09 11:04:31

Eczema can also be a allergic reaction to dairy product. It's a bit complicated but pasteurisation kills the good stuff as well as the bad stuff in milk and part of the good stuff is their to help us digest the milk. Without it the children often develop eczema.
My little girl has been drinking raw milk since last November and her severe eczema is now total under control. No more cream needed but it will reappear every she eats anything made with pasteurized milk.
You could try it.

GillL Wed 17-Jun-09 12:07:09

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I really appreciate it.

cuppachar Thu 18-Jun-09 10:18:40

BTW, I've found the allergy board (www.mumsnet.com/Talk/allergies) very helpful for eczema advice.

GillL Thu 18-Jun-09 13:16:22

thanks cuppachar grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now