Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

So why is no-one catching chicken pox?

(22 Posts)
Wallace Sun 14-Jun-09 20:26:19

There hasn't been a proper outbreak where I live for years. A couple of kids get it, but then it just fizzles out.

There has been a huge outbreak recently in a nearby village where my son's best friend sometimes attends creche.

Son's friend caught it, but ds didn't - despite rolling around with him the day before he got spots. Son's friend was at toddler group the same day, and not a single child from toddlers caught it. Neither did another friend who was with this boy all afternoon.

So no-one from our village caught it, apart from this boy and a girl who also attends the other creche sometimes. She didn't even pass it on to children who go to the same childminder.

Weird, don't you think? hmm

ByTheSea Sun 14-Jun-09 20:33:40

That is weird.

There is definitely outbreak here. As a matter of fact, DD2-7 has chicken pox right now (started Tuesday). I know lots of other children who have had it recently or have it now (both in DDs' school and other schools), and am wondering whether DD1-10 is next.

Wallace Sun 14-Jun-09 20:50:36

Must be our bracing highland air grin

Big outbreak here too, loads off from ds's school and both of mine have just had it.

LIZS Sun 14-Jun-09 20:57:35

Several kids at dc school have had it recently aged 7+

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 14-Jun-09 20:59:59

Maybe a few of them have had it very mildly. Though it would have to be really mildly, for no-one to have noticed grin

MinaLoy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:05:11

Hmmm. Wallace I'm in Scotland too, and I've got some more evidence for your chicken pox weirdness story. One of my toddler twins is in the middle of chicken pox. It's very, very mild (maybe 30 spots in total) and she's not scratched AT ALL, and she is as cheerful as anything, has been all through. And usually she's...shall we say...highly strung. So this is a mild, non-itchy, mood-improving strain of chicken pox. AND the other twin hasn't got it.

Wallace Sun 14-Jun-09 21:23:23

Strange...

maybe the midgies scare the chicken pox away...?

I don't think any of them have even had it mildly as we are all on high alert, thinking that the tiniest spot is the start of it.

I almost posted the other day to ask if chicken pox spots look like midgie bites when they first appear, but then I told myself to get a grip - of course they were midgie bites seeing as ds had been out in the garden surrounded by a cloud of midgies grin

ILoveBanksy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:25:26

Haven't heard of many cases where I live either

FromGirders Sun 14-Jun-09 21:27:37

Well, where I am (Fife and Perthshire) there has been really bad chicken pox for the last eighteen months, so I'm obviously not far enough north.

Wallace Mon 15-Jun-09 21:30:00

not enoug Irn Bru where you are then? wink

differentID Mon 15-Jun-09 21:41:27

loads in south Wales atm, as well as measles.

MerlinsBeard Mon 15-Jun-09 21:44:06

When we had an outbreak we had a chicken poc party - mainly for the mums to get out the house as ALL our DCs had CP. One friend brought her DDs, 1 caught it, one didn't. The one that didn't had been picking another childs spots [vom]

This DD randomly caught it this year from nowhere - wierd.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 21:48:31

Some people are naturally immune though - even if they've never been exposed - there is a name for it which I can't remember but apparently for most illnesses there is a small percentage of people (usually less than 5%) who for some reason just don't get infected regardless of exposure.

DH is like that - we were confined to barracks flued up to the armpits and shaking and in pain and he was blithely checking his emails, eating biscuits and asking me if I would mind cleaning the loo when I'd finished vomiting in it because otherwise it smelled funny hmm He never bloody catches anything! envy

PictureThis Mon 15-Jun-09 21:49:40

Plenty of pox around here. DD's nursery is rife with it. DD is covered in spots as we speak sad

Spidermama Mon 15-Jun-09 21:51:07

They'll introduce the vaccine next year then claim that the fall in incidence is all down to the vaccine.

That's what traditionally happens.

flier Wed 17-Jun-09 07:39:32

my ds has it at the mo, wallace just waiting for dd to get it now smile

so if you want to visit us.........

Wallace Wed 17-Jun-09 11:28:21

Well...

I think ds is getting it

had a fever for a couple of days and now has a couple of spots. Still not sure if it is or isn't but sure will soon know.

Wallace Wed 17-Jun-09 11:29:38

so if it isn't, you might get a visit, flier! Hope your ds isn't to bad with it, and that your dd gets it before the hols!

flier Wed 17-Jun-09 11:39:19

hope it is, dds blistered very quickly in fact it was 1 blister we spotted first of all

flier Wed 17-Jun-09 11:39:44

i mean DS'

Wallace Thu 18-Jun-09 19:49:42

Not chickenpox, just a cough and cold. He did have a couple of spots, but they didn't blister.

I think I will stay away, flier, if he is exposed now he will come down wih it over the hols - not fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now