Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any experience of umbilical hernias?

(5 Posts)
littlelamb Sun 14-Jun-09 20:01:57

Dd is almost 5 and has had an umbilical hernia since birth. It is like a huge outie bellybutton. I took a picture of her today and it's made me realise how prominent it is. I've had several different professional opinions, who have all said if it hasn't gone in by a certain age they will operate. Those ages have been variously 2, 5 and 7. It is not going to disappear by itself. I know there is a risk that it will become strangulated, and I obviously don't want that to happen, but I'm also uneasy about havign an operation for what seems like cosmetic reasons. She is due to start school in September and I'd like it sortred by then (waiting lists permitting hmm). Any experience? I'm taking ds for an appointment tomorrow and thought I could mention it then.

BakewellTarts Sun 14-Jun-09 20:49:34

Very interested in this as DD1 also has one although she's slightly younger at 3.5 years.

I was told it wouldn't become strangulated...? And not to do anything about it

Also apparently I had one...it must have sorted itself out as my belly button is normal (well as normal as possible for someone who has had two pregnancies grin)

littlelamb Sun 14-Jun-09 21:11:13

I have a friend whose dd's became strangulated and had to have emergency surgery. But my understanding of dd's is that it probably won't happen, and the surgery would be purely cosmetic. I'm not sure that I should be doing it iyswim. But I don't want it to make her self conscious. We've always told her it was a 'magic' belly button blush and she was quite proud of it but recently she's become much more self conscious about it.

Pebblemum Tue 16-Jun-09 21:35:23

My oldest ds had one at birth. After several check ups they said it would sort itself out. He is now 12 and although his belly button has sunk in a bit more now he keeps getting pain round that area. When i took him to dr a while ago they said the hernia was still there but had shrunk. They never mentioned operating either now or at birth yet i know several children who had theirs removed. If i knew he would still have it at this age then i think i would have pushed for the op

My 5yr old ds has just been diagnosed with fluid on his testacle caused by a hernia and he faces surgery to correct that. Before becoming a mum i always thought it was old people that got hernias, had never heard of kids getting them, now two of mine have them lol

Pebblemum Tue 16-Jun-09 21:35:34

My oldest ds had one at birth. After several check ups they said it would sort itself out. He is now 12 and although his belly button has sunk in a bit more now he keeps getting pain round that area. When i took him to dr a while ago they said the hernia was still there but had shrunk. They never mentioned operating either now or at birth yet i know several children who had theirs removed. If i knew he would still have it at this age then i think i would have pushed for the op

My 5yr old ds has just been diagnosed with fluid on his testacle caused by a hernia and he faces surgery to correct that. Before becoming a mum i always thought it was old people that got hernias, had never heard of kids getting them, now two of mine have them lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now