Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is the latest that anyone's dc has developed chicken pox after being exposed to it? Panicking!

(5 Posts)
peggotty Fri 12-Jun-09 20:33:01

We are due to go on holiday on 20th, the 17th will be 20 days after he was exposed to chicken pox (I didn't know it at time obviously!) He has no sign of it atm, but I am shitting myself that he gets in the next few days, as the holiday will be up the swanney. If he doesn't develop it by the 17th i.e day 20, is it unlikely/impossible that he will?

Seona1973 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:32:06

normally a 10-21 day incubation period. DS got it about 15 days after dd got it. you may be lucky this time.

blueshoes Fri 12-Jun-09 23:07:08

If the exposure wasn't from a sibling, I think you should be ok. My ds got chicken pox 30 days after being exposed to it by contact with dd. The GP said it was almost certain ds would be incubating the virus if dd got it. But nothing happened and we thought all clear but suddenly ds started spotting.

Like I say, only if exposure is via sibling. Both my dcs attend nursery from age 1 and were veteran survivors of chicken pox outbreaks who never caught it until very late. DD finally caught it in school at age 5.

peggotty Sat 13-Jun-09 07:17:47

Thank you for the replies Seona and BLueshoes. Exposure was not from a sibling. It was most likely from a soft play. My friend's dd developed it, and the only contact with other children she'd had was a softplay we both took the kids to. I don't want to get my hopes up that he's not going to get it but we're at day 18 after (probable) exposure now!

SoupDragon Sat 13-Jun-09 07:20:17

DS1 got it 21 days after his last day at nursery before Christmas. I can't think of any other exposure he had in that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now