Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

jaundice in new born

(9 Posts)
Champagneforlunch Fri 12-Jun-09 07:21:56

my daughter is now 2 days old and developing jaundice has anyone got any tips on anything that helps keep us out of hospital.
My elder daughter had the same but they caught her before we left and we had to stay in for 5 days before she started improving. I;m doing the feed constantly and sitting at the window (although it is nice outside at the moment, so would she be better ouside in her pram?) but things look worse today than yesterday.
Midwife should be in early to take blood today.

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Jun-09 07:33:20

Here, they test blood on third day and give an injection (sugar-based, I think?) if necessary. Can you ask your midwife if such an injection is offered at your hospital?

Also, my mother (pharmacist) sitting across from me says she knows current advice is not to give water, but in her experience, it is a good idea to ignore that advice.

Good luck. I hope she feels better soon.

misdee Fri 12-Jun-09 07:35:32

lots of sunshine.

if its nioce where you are, pop the buggy/carrycot outsdide for a bit with your baby in it.

obviously not if its high sun times and risks of burning

Champagneforlunch Fri 12-Jun-09 07:51:53

Thanks for the fast replies. The sun is out at the moment so will get her outside once i'm dressed. Will also try the water, although she has just cuddled in and gone back to sleep so looks like i'm stuck on the couch for a while. Will also ask about that injection cote, with DD1 they just got her under the blue lights and eventually gave us a blanket as well which finally helped.

bubbleymummy Fri 12-Jun-09 16:01:05

If you are breastfeeding it will help with the jaundice. Breastfed babies do not need water - it just fills their tummies with something non-nutritious. Just feed lots and lots and it should clear soon. My DS was 5 weeks early and quite jaundiced for a few days but my milk soon sorted him out sorry for the hurried message - ds2 getting cranky on my knee!

ShowOfHands Fri 12-Jun-09 16:05:00

Jaundice doesn't turn up until they're a couple of days old usually.

Lots of breastmilk and sunshine. It'll flush out hopefully.

reikizen Fri 12-Jun-09 16:05:22

Yikes, no water please. Especially if you are breastfeeding. Frequent feeds and (non direct) sunlight are your options, never heard of the injection tbh, wonder what that is?

JRocks Fri 12-Jun-09 16:07:45

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, I'm sure they will just want to monitor things with a couple of heel prick tests to make sure it's improving rather than getting worse.

Best wishes, and congratulations too! smile

Champagneforlunch Sat 13-Jun-09 10:30:38

Thanks.
She's looking better today although was really quiet sleepy yesterday. The midwife took one look at her and said she was alert and bright (never reallly got sleepy till later on but is such a nosey child that when she is awake she is great) so just stick with the feeding. We also managed to get out for a bit yesterday in the sun, milk has come in so hope that will help and if nothing else make the constant feeding bareable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now