Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD been massively sick. Feed or not?

(12 Posts)
EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 10-Jun-09 16:13:23

DD (17 months) has been horrendously sick, everywhere, over me as well hmm. First real sick occasion (makes pfb note in red book)

Anyway, it might have been a bit of lunch gone down the wrong way as she was choking to death coughing but for the last couple of days she's been off colour, very tired, thought it was teething so dosed her up with calpol and it seemed to help. Today she has eaten next to nothing but drank a fair amount of milk. So she could be teething or could be not well. So do I give her tea or let her have the milk? She must be hungry but has refused food all day. I don't know whether to keep trying.

Ha, 17 months in and I thought I knew it all. blush

Castiel Wed 10-Jun-09 16:15:39

I think these days they advise to carry on offering food. No dairy though if it's a tummy thing. Something bland perhaps like toast or rice. Don't push it though if she's not interested. Lots of fluids if you can.

Hope she feels better soon.

sazzerbear Wed 10-Jun-09 16:19:35

When my ds had d&v, doc recommended to not bother with food if not interested - water/fluids most important thing to make sure they stop any dehydration.

EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 10-Jun-09 16:22:08

OK thanks. She is totally refusing all food so I guess that answers the question. Will try some toast later. In the meantime I have to hose us both down, the smell of sick is vomit-inducing hmm <<sigh>>

sazzerbear Wed 10-Jun-09 16:27:21

It's amazing how much they can produce! Hope she feels better soon grin

Ewe Wed 10-Jun-09 16:40:49

Eyeballs there is a D&V bug doing the rounds at nursery (and Rubella, what a delight that place is!) so I imagine that it is out and about amongst all the local toddlers/babies. Hope she is ok!

Doc has always told me to keep offering food but don't push it and to just make sure rehydration drinks are given if it lasts more than a day or so.

Greensleeves Wed 10-Jun-09 16:45:31

Ugh, poor you, it's awful having a vomity child

I wouldn't refuse food, as long as it was something sensible and bland, but wouldn't force the issue if she doesn't want it. Lots of fluid though if she can take it.

PS - don't take this the wrong way, but the emetophobic MNers won't like this - we've been asked before if we wouldn't mind leaving the "s" and "v" words out of thread titles...

EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 10-Jun-09 17:39:15

There is suspected rubella at dd's nursery as well. You're near me if I remember rightly Ewe?

She's just eaten some cereal on the third attempt so something has gone in at last. Hope it stays there....

Ah ok, had no idea about thread title requests. Righto Apologies anyone throwing up at this thread blush

Ewe Wed 10-Jun-09 19:20:02

Yep, same town Eyeballs. I wonder if we use the same nursery?

DD has been MMR'd but only 3 weeks ago so not sure if she is immune or not. Keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't get it!

Glad she is attempting to eat, always a good sign even if it doesn't stay in

EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 10-Jun-09 19:49:20

Ours is the on the road behind Argos... Oh God, never thought of that. DD is having single jabs so has only had measles so far.

<<googles rubella symptoms... hmm>>

Ewe Wed 10-Jun-09 20:07:12

Snap! shock

They are probably in the same room too as my DD is 15 months. You can probably easily identify me from my profile!

EyeballshasBackBoobs Wed 10-Jun-09 20:53:25

Freaky! <<looks at Ewe's profile>>

Worry not, I will respect your anonymity wink. I don't get there till about 9 anyway and DH picks her up. Might buy her a MN T shirt to wear one day though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now