Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS won't take antibiotics for tonsilitis......HELP!

(14 Posts)
BananaFruitBat Tue 09-Jun-09 15:51:29

Pleeeeeease, has anyone got any tips for getting this medicine down DS? He's 5 and just won't take it.

belgo Tue 09-Jun-09 15:53:20

My dd2 has been prescribed antibiotics twice in the last few months for tonsillitis. She refused to take a single dose. She got better on her own though, but I was worried at the time. Sorry not much help.

Have you tried chocolate buttons?

BananaFruitBat Tue 09-Jun-09 15:54:37

He's just refused Chocolate Buttons.

LilRedWG Tue 09-Jun-09 15:56:01

DH told DD (two at the time) that the medicine was just like a plaster for her poorly chest (she had an infection), just as she'd have a plaster on her knee. She seemed to accept this and took her antibiotics for him.

That being said, DD had antibiotics for tonsillitis a month or so ago and it was the worst tasting stuff I've ever tasted - so bitter. We had to put in a tiny glass of strong Ribena and promise treats afterwards - literally had chocolate buttons in hand ready to go.

Good luck, it's so stressful isn't it.

alarkaspree Tue 09-Jun-09 15:59:48

Oh god I sympathise. When dd was prescribed antibiotics it was so grim. She did end up taking it but the tears, the misery...

Have you tried a syringe? It gets the medicine into the corner of their mouth so they don't taste it as much, available from the chemist. Otherwise, could you ask your doctor if it's available in a different form? I think my 5-year-old could swallow capsules, probably, but it's probably considered unsafe to prescribe them.

Here in the US you can get ibuprofen and tylenol (paracetamol) in flavoured chewable tablets - bliss!

TrinityRhino Tue 09-Jun-09 16:01:44

I would just pin him down with your legs over his chest and arms by his side
syringe it in
job done

if he doens't want that next time tll him he has to take it properly and gets a sweet afterwards

BananaFruitBat Tue 09-Jun-09 16:01:52

It is vile tbh. I really hoped the buttons would work.

Thanks for you input though, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one!

belgo Tue 09-Jun-09 16:03:35

My dd2 just tantrumed and refused to take it. I decided that if she was well enough to tantrum, then she was well enough not to need the antibiotics.

psychomum5 Tue 09-Jun-09 16:04:36

is it the orange penicilin??

that is horrid tasting, seriously, makes my DD3 throw up she hates the taste so much.

can you try and mix it with something?? I used to put it with yoghurts for her when she was smaller, I now tho just have chocolate waiting

Sycamoretreeisvile Tue 09-Jun-09 16:05:01

Oh, poor ds, I'm sitting at home with tonsilitus too and even as a grown up it is HORRID.

Top tip for future - go to a different chemist next time he needs ab's. We found one of our local ones favours vile pink clearish stuff that burns your fricking mouth off. Other one does either orange or banana, so much better.

With DD who is nearly 4 and just did 10 days of ab's 4 times a day for scarlet fever, i approached her knowing it was going to take possibly 10 mins of cajoling. I didn't shove the syringe up to her mouth as it freaked her out (are you using a syringe, I recommend as older kids can suck it out and if you stick it in far enough it hardly touches their taste buds.

Have strong juice drink in your hand ready plus choc treats. Tell him, if he does not take it, he will have to take even more medicine that is even more yucky (lie!).

If I'm very patient, and encourage her to put the syringe in her mouth herself, eventually she'll psych herself up to it.

After a few days, the become a bit fed up of making the fuss I find....hope you do too! Good luck. smile

Sycamoretreeisvile Tue 09-Jun-09 16:05:23

Oh, poor ds, I'm sitting at home with tonsilitus too and even as a grown up it is HORRID.

Top tip for future - go to a different chemist next time he needs ab's. We found one of our local ones favours vile pink clearish stuff that burns your fricking mouth off. Other one does either orange or banana, so much better.

With DD who is nearly 4 and just did 10 days of ab's 4 times a day for scarlet fever, i approached her knowing it was going to take possibly 10 mins of cajoling. I didn't shove the syringe up to her mouth as it freaked her out (are you using a syringe, I recommend as older kids can suck it out and if you stick it in far enough it hardly touches their taste buds.

Have strong juice drink in your hand ready plus choc treats. Tell him, if he does not take it, he will have to take even more medicine that is even more yucky (lie!).

If I'm very patient, and encourage her to put the syringe in her mouth herself, eventually she'll psych herself up to it.

After a few days, the become a bit fed up of making the fuss I find....hope you do too! Good luck. smile

TheYearOfTheCat Fri 12-Jun-09 23:07:42

Make a huge fuss, lots of stars, phoning daddy at work to say what a great boy /girly they have been.

My 2 DC are just finishing a 10 day course for scarlet fever. I tried all the above.

Now I have it. I find chocs work best for me. smile

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 23:10:21

Is it Flucloxicillin.

If it is it is vile. As Dr to prescribe an alternative.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 12-Jun-09 23:11:00

DS recently had the foul orange stuff for his (recurring sad) tonsillitis and ended up in hospital. In the end our only option was pin him down and syringe them in. Was terrible but had a sweety afterwards and big cuddles and lots of fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now