Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Speech concern in 19 month old DS2

(9 Posts)
cloudydaze Mon 08-Jun-09 18:19:37

Hello,
Just wondering (looking for reassurance too I guess) does anyone have a child who still didn't say any words by 19 months? Our DS2 has one word, apart from that he just talks baby babble.
He's going to have his hearing checked as he has had a number of ear infections to date.
He can hear/understand basic commands as I have been testing him, asking him to retrieve a specific toy etc.
We only speak English in our home (as I know bilingual children take a bit longer to speak, understandably!), I also do wonder if perhaps his older brother (3yrs) & I effectively talk for him in that we second guess what he wants so he doesn't need to clarify things.
Has anyone else had a child whose speech was delayed? His brother also had delayed speech but he was saying a number of words by this stage.
Many thanks for anyone who replies!

flamingobingo Mon 08-Jun-09 18:27:22

19m isn't delayed, it's just the late end of normal. Don't start worrying until he's 2 - I think they say they need to have 50 words at 2.

My DD3 had very few words until 2, and then we added them up and were very surprised to find she had about 60 or 70. It doesn't really matter how long it takes, so long as they are learning to talk - so long as you can see an improvement, however slow.

neolara Mon 08-Jun-09 18:29:56

My ds said only about 4 words at 19 months. At 19 1/2 months he had a bit of a language explosion (10 new words on one day). It was like a switch had been turned on in his brain overnight. At 2 1/2 he now has a pretty extensive vocabulary and puts 7 or 8 words together.

I was a bit concerned about his language development at around 19 months, but noticed that lots of his contemporaries who were second children and boys also seemed slow to learn how to speak. In fact quite a few of them had even less language than my ds and had their language explosion later.

cloudydaze Mon 08-Jun-09 18:31:40

Thanks for replying flamingo. I am now starting to really take note of what he says/does (will admit, his brother usually manages to grab centre stage) so hopefully I'll see some improvements soon. He's sort of been at the same stage for about 6 months, guess that's why I've also started to get concerned.
Thanks again for replying!

Hulababy Mon 08-Jun-09 18:33:29

My godson is 19 months old. He has maybe 3 or 4 words at present, and until a month ago just one. Not concerned as yet. He has a very vocal sister who does lots of chatting for him, and he is making all other normal progress. he indicttaes what he wants all the time, he points loads. He is also very good mobility wise so reckon he has concentrated on that as well. It is not outside normal paramaters to not say much as 19 months, well within TBH.

cloudydaze Mon 08-Jun-09 18:34:11

Oh, thanks neolara too, just saw your reply. Yes, I did wonder if the fact that he's a second child & a boy (as the girls def seem to be more advanced on the speech front from my observations) could also explain his delays

peanutbutterkid Mon 08-Jun-09 18:55:06

DC1, only said one word before 19.5 or so months.
He is now 9yo and having a right moan (very clearly articulated): about school, what we served up for tea, how hard and easy maths is, how stupid his classmates are, and everything else that comes into his mind.

Really, I would quite appreciate some lack of speech in him right now .

cloudydaze Tue 09-Jun-09 22:23:02

Thanks to everyone who replied, has made me less concerned about our son, thank you!

moodylou Tue 09-Jun-09 23:03:34

I wouldn't start worrying too much yet although it's definitely worth having his hearing checked to put your mind at ease. My ds was 22 months before he spoke his first word and i don't think he could say more than about 10 words when he turned 2.

By the time he started nursery at 30 months though he seemed to be at the same level as the other children and you couldn't tell that he had been so late starting to talk.

He's now 7 and quite articulate for his age so it doesn't seem to have set him back at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now