Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Daktacort for ringworm?

(7 Posts)
loobylolly Mon 08-Jun-09 13:15:52

DD (5) has had 2 patches of ringworm for just over a week.

One is on her back, about 6cm across, the other on top of her wrist, about 4cm across, both red and inflamed and itchy.

I have been applying clotrimazole 2 or 3 times daily for a week, and there is no sign of either patch getting any better (though they're not getting any worse).

I was tempted to try some daktacort, which works brilliantly on dh's athletes foot, but I see that it says not for ringworm or under-10s unless prescribed by a doctor. I can't realistically take her to the GP till about Thursday at the earliest.

Any advice? TIA.

loobylolly Mon 08-Jun-09 13:23:21

geogteach Mon 08-Jun-09 13:44:23

Can you get to a pharmacist? I got treatment for DS there by taking him in and showing them.

loobylolly Mon 08-Jun-09 17:03:13

At a push, but I'd rather not tbh. Has anyone successfully got rid of ringworm with OTC stuff?

difficultdecision Mon 08-Jun-09 19:54:25

daktacort is not the right stuff.

Daktacort has steroid and an antifungal
Daktarin is the antifungal on it's own and is ok for ringworm.

I would honestly continue with the clotrimazole until you can take her to the doctor. Clotrimazole usually works but ringworm takes a while to go.

Seona1973 Mon 08-Jun-09 20:00:32

it took several months for a patch of ringworm on my arm to clear up. I was prescribed a lamisil gel but it isnt suitable for young children either

loobylolly Mon 08-Jun-09 20:53:10

Months, golly. Ok thanks, that's useful to know - puts my impatience at 1 week into perspective! Won't use the daktacort...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now