Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox in mouth - help!

(8 Posts)
Takeadeepbreath Mon 08-Jun-09 12:09:52

My DD is 3 and has chicken pox, the spots started appearing on friday, so its been a long weekend! This morning I also noticed that she has some in her mouth which she is complaining are sore - esp when she eats. The other side effect is that she has really bad breath - is there anything i can do about the soreness and the smell? Bless her, she has been suffering, not sleeping etc.. Can someone also tell me whether bathing in bicarb of soda works and how much to use? Many thanks.

sockmonkey Mon 08-Jun-09 12:34:13

I can sympathise. DS1 got chicken pox in his mouth too. He didn't eat for a few days, and he was skinny enough to start with. He could only really manage to drink water.
Calpol helped a bit.
I didn't try bicarb, but I did put some porridge oats tied in a sock to put in his bath. That seemed to really help sooth his skin.
Hope your DD feels better soon

Takeadeepbreath Mon 08-Jun-09 14:53:19

Thanks sockmonkey, will keep going with the calpol and hope for the best - she doesn't like brushing her teeth at the mo, which could be reason for smell - she says it hurts!
Might try the porridge oats trick tonight. Thanks

procrastinatingparent Mon 08-Jun-09 14:57:50

DS2 has the pox so badly I wince just looking at him. I'm about to buy something a friend recommended called pox-clin (I think) so I'll let you know if it works. (I was up with him 8 times last night - I can't do that again).

DS3 hasn't had yet, so I think I'll be doing this again in a couple of weeks.

Takeadeepbreath Mon 08-Jun-09 16:56:55

I sympathise with you, it is exhausting getting up in the night. You feel so sorry for them and it is horrible to see them unwell. Hope the 'pox-clin' works - ive never heard of it, but let me know how you get on, Here's to a good nights sleep!

procrastinatingparent Mon 08-Jun-09 17:22:55

Actually, the PoxClin seems to have helped a bit. It's a cooling mousse which is meant to be antibacterial as well, especially designed for chicken pox. It cost almost a tenner shock - but I will try anything even if it only has a placebo effect.

<<raises (medicinal) glass to a good night's sleep>>

PerfectPrefect Mon 08-Jun-09 17:29:43

pox in the mouth will be similar to other forms of viral ulcers - which do cause v bad breath.

You used to be able to use bonjela - but that is no longer suitable for children. I think there is an abesol product suitable though.

As for food - avoid anything acidic - including citrus fruits etc. Yoghurts go down well as they are cool and soothing and don't irritate (My DDs lived on yoghurts when they had herepes ulcrs which ould be very similar).

Pinkjenny Mon 08-Jun-09 22:04:24

We have just survived ten days of chickenpox with dd. She also had them in her mouth, and to be honest, didn't eat a great deal for a few days. She would suck ice cubes, eat the occasional icepop and she would also have yoghurt and weetabix. My sympathies, I am sooooo glad it's over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now