Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is a wee test enough to diagnose diabetes in small children?

(25 Posts)
mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 08:08:11

or is it not enough for a 3 year old? Would it have to be blood or can the gp just do a dip test for glucose in the wee?

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:30:51

bump

TrinityRhino Mon 08-Jun-09 09:36:09

if you go to the doctor asking to have your 3 yeard old checked for diabetes then they may do a finger prick test first
then they will do a wee test

and I think that the wee test will give them enough info for a diagnosis

I did this with my 3 year old and she had the finger prick test and we decided that she wasn;t from that and other factors

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:39:13

do you know if one is more reliable than the other?

lulurose Mon 08-Jun-09 09:40:24

A urine test will indicate high levels of ketones (dangerous) and high quantities of glucose. Only a blood test will give an accurate Blood glucose result. Are you concerned about a child? My DD2 was misdiagnosed initially as the doctor refused to do a finger prick test in the surgery...please ask away if you need any more info. A normal non diabetic will have no ketones or perhaps a trace and a BG reading between 3.5 and 5mmols. When my DD was admitted to hospital her BG was 38mmols...

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:50:23

basically i have wondered about diabetes with ds1 but think im being silly...

ok, i'll be silly grin
he is always tired (but does have sleep apnea so put it down to that) he drinks alot and he gets very agressive when he needs a drink or something to eat, when he DOES have a snack he then jumps up and goes 'ive got energy now mummy'

I think this is normal behaviour for toddlers isnt it? Needing drink/eat regularly?

lulurose Mon 08-Jun-09 10:00:37

I'm sure he'll be fine but the doctor should be able to get enough info from a simple urine dip stick if you are worried and want to have peace of mind.

The main symptoms of undiagnosed Type One are excessive drinking/thirst, excessive weeing, lethargy, fruity breath (the ketones), sickness and weight loss.

Undiagnosed Type Ones present with high sugar readings because their pancreas's are failing to produce insulin...I hope that helps. Please let me know how he is.

bramblebooks Mon 08-Jun-09 10:06:20

agree with lulu - my ds was diagnosed aged 7 and the doctor dipped a stick in a wee sample. It was confirmed with a pinprick blood test as we were immediately admitted to hospital.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 10:09:15

so from what you guys say it prob isnt diabetes? Pretty sure he isnt losing weight, he is 'slight' but not skinny

lulurose Mon 08-Jun-09 10:16:05

If I was you I would see no harm in getting a urine sample to get dipped by a GP. You won't be wasting their time and it will give you peace of mind...I'm sure he'll be fine smile

How much is he drinking?

GoodWitchGlinda Mon 08-Jun-09 10:18:03

Bottom line is - if you have any concerns AT ALL, you need to just go to your GP. 10 minutes out of your day to find out once and for all.

No-one on MN can tell you, only your GP.

I have diabetes and I can tell you that if you child has it, you need to know about it, not bury your head in the sand or make a self-diagnosis on the basis of MN posts. hmm

Diabetes is a serious disease with serious consequences if left unchecked. Losing weight is a later symptom of serious disease, but drinking lots can be an early symptom. Wouldn't you rather just find out now than wait until you are rushing your child to hospital? Yes, it can be that serious if not diagnosed.

Just call your GP and get your child checked out.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 10:24:00

goodwitch, im not buryinh my head in the sand, he has an apt booked for gp tomorrow anyway, i was asking wether a wee test was possible instead of making him have blood test if it was ulikely when his veins collapse and blood doesnt come out well, i didnt know it was just a prick test. also not after a self diagnosis on MN, asking for advice which i believe not a bad thing to do prior to going to gp.

lulu id say he drinks roughly 2 litres + a day. he has very diluted juice plus milk and if he keeps asking i only give him water as i asked gp about him drinking so much few weeks afo and she said just give him water and see if its just habit or not.. i dont think he drinks as much at pre school though or when we are busy..

lulurose Mon 08-Jun-09 10:25:10

I think the OP realises that Glenda, I was trying to get the OP to go to the GPs without scaring her socks off!

lulurose Mon 08-Jun-09 10:28:52

OP, it was the quantity and the desire to drink that first alerted me...she would crawl to the kitchen and point to the tap, she was also on her hands and knees drinking water from the paddling pool.

Please let us know how it goes, follow your instinct and see a GP. Even if he does a finger prick it is a tiny drop that is needed and quite painless...my DD has 10 a day and doesn't bat an eye lid!

Good luck

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 10:34:25

wow! 10 a day! no he doesnt drink from anywhere silly, just asks all the time. Actually he does drink the bath water but have always but down to being silly as he smiles when he does it, same with drinking water from tap when brushing his teeth

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 10:39:01

hmm! 'he doesnt drink from anywhere silly'

just the bath and the tap!!

GoodWitchGlinda Mon 08-Jun-09 10:51:32

Sorry OP, not trying to scare you at all, but you really do need to just go to your GP if you suspect diabetes, rather than asking on here and trying to figure it out yourself.

I don't mean to be harsh, but diabetes isn't something you can take lightly and put your faith in the MNers (wise though they are, they can't help you diagnose an illness).

By 'bury your head in the sand' I meant that you might chose to not see your GP based on what you read on here, which really isn't sensible, because no-one on here can tell you what you need to know.

Don't be scared about what type of test your child needs. They will likely start with a urine test, and if that shows nothing, they won't need to do anything else. If it shows glucose, then a finger prick might be all that is needed to confirm a diagnosis, and it really isn't bad, just a split second and it is done, and at least then you can be glad you caught it before it got serious.

You are not being silly, you are doing the right thing by getting your DC tested, and being a very good mum. Wishing you all the best and a negative result for your DC.

ellielou02 Mon 08-Jun-09 10:52:38

Hi there just thought I would post, if you are worried just go to the GP a wee test will not confirm diabetes, it can indicate certain thing but the only reliable way is to get bloods done, sorry not much help but I know that adults can have glucose in urine if stressed etc so its not a reliable test. Hope your DS is ok tho!

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 11:00:17

thanks guys, sorry goodwitch, didnt mean to shout, just feeling pretty crappy about it all as lots of probs with ds2 aswell!

GoodWitchGlinda Mon 08-Jun-09 11:05:19

M4MB - no need to apologise, totally understand.

One good thing will be if you go to see GP, and you get negative result (sure you will) that will be one less thing to worry about.

I think you can get something to collect the wee in before you go for your appointment, so the GP can test there and then. Give your surgery a ring and ask them.

Good luck smile

bramblebooks Mon 08-Jun-09 15:05:55

All the best. Just a slight 'rider' - my child was under a consultant paediatrician for his weight loss, which we thought was coeliac disease (his dad's coeliac). This paediatrician completely missed the diabetes, even though she'd done some sort of test for it and he wasn't presenting any other symptoms at the time other than weight loss. The diabetes presented in its 'full' form a few months later when the symptoms became fully obvious. Not to panic you, but to say go back if you are not happy still. Doctors would rather give another all clear than have a child go on to be very very poorly.

lulurose Tue 09-Jun-09 10:25:08

How is your little boy today? Hope the GPs gave him the all clear

xLR

mad4myboys Tue 09-Jun-09 13:09:23

hiya, yes the wee test was fine although she said it wasnt a silly thing to ask which made me feel better, thanks all for your help

bramblebooks Tue 09-Jun-09 18:58:26

Good news.

lulurose Tue 09-Jun-09 19:16:50

Great stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now