Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is there anything out there i can buy to help 6 month old with stomach cramps whilst waiting for GOSH apt?

(26 Posts)
mad4myboys Sun 07-Jun-09 19:37:01

ds2 has had probs since he was born. See previous link if you please :
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/765735-is-there-any-illness-condition-if-babies-cant-seem-to

wait im wondering if there is anything that i can get to help with the stomach cramps and wind? Have all the usual, gripe water, infacol, fennel tea etc etc but at night is the worse, he is always writhing around as his tummy is so crampy. Waiting for GOSH apt as gps etc have all done they can. Going to try health shop tomorrow, can anyone suggest anything worth a try? just until they can find out what is wrong with him?

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 19:39:36

Have you tried teething powders? They are also good for upset tummies? have not read other thread but was my 1st thought. DS gets really upset when windy and they really help.

mad4myboys Sun 07-Jun-09 19:45:56

thanks but they have lactose in them and he is dairy intolerant!

luvaduck Sun 07-Jun-09 19:51:06

could you just take a step back with weaning and give fruit veg etc and no protein. milk is all he needs at this stage anyway.

mad4myboys Sun 07-Jun-09 19:51:29

that is all he is eating

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 19:59:25

Can I suggest making an appointment with a homeopath and speaking to them? I am sure there will be something that they can offer to help you

mad4myboys Sun 07-Jun-09 20:03:23

bizarre you should say that, was googling and came across 'colic calm' think its american. That is completely homeopathic and also supposed to help reflux (which he has too) may give that a go although never heard of it so may put a thread out to see if anyone else has used it

kitkatqueen Sun 07-Jun-09 20:40:22

Sounds good, never heard of it tho' TBH I would definatley speak with a homeopath. I have had the most amazing help for my dd from a homeopath to the extent that she avoided an operation that 2 different doctors were pushing for.

Can't stress enough how helpful they were. Find a local one and give them a call in the morning.

minxthemanx Sun 07-Jun-09 20:47:23

Oh you poor thing and poor baby. My DS2 had horrendous colic and milk intolerance - screamed blue murder, threw up all the time, pooh exploded up the walls, blood in the pooh....I really symapthise. Someone told me COLIEF is good - didn't work for my DS but worth a try. Tummy tub thing, meant to soothe them. Have to say nothing helped until his milk was replaced with soemthing disgusting called NEOCATE, on prescription, v expensive. It was milk but with everything stripped out! He gradually improved. By 1 year was completely better and not milk intolerant any more. Good luck.

zonedout Sun 07-Jun-09 21:02:12

Had exactly the same experience as minxthemanx. Except it was with ds1 rather than ds2 [thankful for small mercies emoticon]

No other suggestions i am afraid except to say hang in there, before you know it this will hopefully all be a distant and hazy memory. you have my fullest sympathies, it is so hard sad

Good luck with GOSH.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 06:15:04

thanks guyus;. had awful night. on top of night feedibg i was up from 1.30 - 3.15 writhing around in agony. nothing helped. yet right now he is ok. yes he is also on neocate and has been a while

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 06:20:58

does anyone know what mucousy poo can mean? He has had that since birth aswell (cant remember if i said that on other thread) all i can find is intolerance to milk but he has neocate or CF which he was tested for...

Celia2 Mon 08-Jun-09 07:07:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 08:11:02

do you remember what the remedy was? I know id have to take him direct though...my health shop guy is homeo quaifyed so was going to ask him....

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 08:13:08

has he been DX'd with reflux, as he sounds like my two that had it severely.

nothing I did helped unfortunately bar calpol on their worst night, plus baths and massage t help soothe as best I could.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 08:30:21

yes, think it says that on my link. was diagnosed very early with bariun, on domperidone, omeperazole and docusate to make him poo, even then they are still pelletts and smell vile (not normal) and musousy

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 09:25:24

ah, sorry.........was replying quickly due to sorting out the children, and didn;t click the link.

how long is the referral going to be, do you know??

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:30:29

my paed is on hol till next monday so the referral wint actually get there until mon the earliest. then have to wait for the apt! if i want any other paed to do the referral i have to make an apt to go see them first which will take weeks! Its a joke, the gp did the referral but was refused as needed to come from the paed, fair enough, but u explained to the secetrary the situation and said cant this get the ball rolling and then the referral will have come through before the apt but no that wont work!

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 09:38:28

<arse>, the system sucks sometimes.

you have my symathy. I had years of stress with DS2 with his belly probs. only just now getting to normality with him and he is 7 in july.

sorry for not being more positive, but even with a DX (he has IBS and bowel dismobility disorder), I still cannot help him with the pain bar painkillers and the warm bath (oh, and a hot water bottle at his worst).

one thing in some way tho is that he understands now. as a baby of course he just knew he hurt and mummy couldn;t make it better, which is the hardest thing for us as mummies.

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 09:41:40

i know! ive just had an awful though though. yesterday i was eating fruit loaf (you know that bread with sugar and sultanas?) and ds2 grabbed a bit and ate it, about the size of a finger nail so a mouthful for him.... have been keeping him off wheat due to ds1 allergies and ds2 not having dairy plus these other probs, just thinking maybe it was that???

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 10:42:13

well, if it was, there really is no use beating yourself up about it........we have enough guilt as mums anyway ((I know, I have a truckload!)).

tis just so hard when they sob and sob and you can't help them isn;t it.

<<much sympathy>>

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 10:43:04

thanks, yes life is hard enough as it is...

Neena28 Mon 08-Jun-09 10:52:04

Haven't read whole thread but i did a course baby massage with both my babies (now nearly 4 and 8 years). The highlight hmm of each session was doing the tummy massage and having about 10 farting babies in one room!

It made a hell of a difference to my ds who was a very colicy, windy baby despite being breast fed.

You have to make sure you do it in the right direction on their tummy but it definatly gave both of mine quite a lot of relief. I am going to try and find my booklet that we were given and will copy the tummy massage section for you.

I was a little dubious about baby massage to start with but both of my babies loved it and slept like logs after each session and i still occasionally give both of them a back massage if they are fraught and upset. I am not in the least new agey either (no offence to anyone that is!)

Will report back in a mo.

Neena28 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:04:11

Right all booklets etc are in the attic.

this is what we did though in a basic way. Also did songs and made lots of eye contact.

Make sure the oil you use is warm (rub between your hands)and safe for babies and the room is too, so baby is comfortable.

tummy massage

Must always be in a clockwise direction as this is the direction that the bowels/intestines work. Lifting the legs up to press the knees into the tummy makes the wind release really well.

I know this isn't a cure all but it may just help a little while your baby is really distressed.

My local group was wonderful, nice lady (former midwife) ran it and nice other mums. Learnt a skill, spent some bonding time and also had a cup of tea and a biscuit!

Hope things get better for you both x

mad4myboys Mon 08-Jun-09 11:14:00

thanks nina, i had a lovely nursery nurse did a course when he was born and i do it every night but he doesnt like his tummy being touched....thanks for the thought though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now