Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should i be concerned about this ??

(9 Posts)
NervousNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 16:08:38

Dd2 is 9 and seems to be a bit out of sorts. She keeps saying she is tired, looks tired and has no get up and go.

She is also very irritable and moany, and snaps everyones heads off.

Other symptoms are her saying she is cold, feeling cold to touch and her saying that when she is cold her legs hurt to touch.

Any ideas ?? My first thought was anemia so I will get her some multi vits next week although she does eat a balanced diet. I am also trying to get her to drink more as she would go for hours without drinking a thing and I am sure this contributes to the irritability.

My only other thought was that it is just end of term exhaustion.

Is it worth taking her to the gp's do you think ?? She had a bout of something similar as a 3yr old and had blood tests which showed low iron reserves and that was it. GP eventually said it was post viral fatigue from when she had pneumonia at 22mths.

purepurple Sat 06-Jun-09 16:10:44

I have sufferd from aneamia and her sypmtomm do sound similiar, but you need to take her to the docs to get her checked out

I agree about increasing her fluid intake, also try to increase her iron intake too

NervousNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 16:11:30

Meant to add that she goes to bed at 8:30 on a school night and is normally asleep by 9/9:30 and up again at 7 so i'd say she is getting enough sleep.

She only goes to bed later if I know I can leave her to lie in the next day.

NervousNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 16:12:30

Thanks PP, definatly going to do both of those things and might keep a diary for a week or so then take her to the gp if she's no better.

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 16:12:40

A GP check wouldn't hurt. Better to be nothing wrong than to let her carry on feeling low if there is something wrong.

I hope she is soon better.

NervousNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 16:17:03

Thanks FBG

I suppose at least as she has had low reserves before, they will not hesitate to test her.

SofiaAmes Sat 06-Jun-09 16:23:04

Has she gotten her period yet? Maybe her hormones are changing. Girls are getting their periods much earlier nowadays. And I think in general doctors don't consider enough the effects hormones have on our bodies. There is a fantastic book worth reading which is all about hormones and how they affect females. It goes all the way from in utero to death. It's called The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine.

NervousNutty Sat 06-Jun-09 20:12:43

No she isn't showing any signs of puberty yet so I don't think it is that.

It is 11 dd1 who is currently full of hormones lol.

Dd2 sat and yawned all the way through dinner tonight and my mum commented on how exhuasted she looked. Have just packed her off to bed with a nice mug of hot chocolate and she is going to read for half an hour if she can keep her eyes open.

NervousNutty Sun 21-Jun-09 11:10:56

Well 2 weeks on and dd2 has been having a multivitamin with iron for about 10 days now and has shown no signs of improvement at all.

We went to a family party on Friday and she looked so tired and miserable throughout the whole thing, and started falling asleep at around 9:30.

She is so so snappy and irritable and cries at the drop of a hat and has gone off her food.

It suddenly occured to me last night that she has a whole load of symptoms relating to Hypothyroidism, which happens to run in our family.

Will be ringing the doctors tommorow to get her seen and hopefully get a blood test done to see whats going on as this can not carry on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now