Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

mumphs - single vaccine question

(20 Posts)
stressed2007 Fri 05-Jun-09 12:07:59

I read on another thread that the immunity from this jab (even with booster) wears off during teenage years - the time when getting mumphs is most dangerous and therefore there is no point giving this jab now. It would be better to have mumphs now then when a teenager. My clinic says this is not true and mumphs jab gives permanent protection. Can anyone tell me who is correct?

And before anyone says you can't get it - you can. There is just a shortage at the moment and it does become available if you wait.

Thanks very much

lljkk Fri 05-Jun-09 16:42:52

This Canadian link seems to confirm that there is waning immunity over time, but not that the immunity would definitely be gone after 12 years.

It's hard to find info about the single vaccine, most of it is on the efficacy of the MMR.

thisisyesterday Fri 05-Jun-09 16:45:08

ok if you get the disease naturally then you should get lifelong immunity.

a vaccine does NOT guarantee permanent protection and your clinic is wrong to tell you that it does.
some people will be immune for a very, very long tiem. but other people will not. there is no way of telling.

so, it makes sense to have the vaccines later so that there is a bigger chance of your child still being immune when they are older.

lljkk Fri 05-Jun-09 17:02:42

The link I gave above talks about herd immunity and wild virus being eradicated with a 2 dose regime among the very young.

Anyway, if you're that bothered about lifelong immunity then you just plan for serial boosters (like we use to have with polio, and still need with tetanus).

jabberwocky Fri 05-Jun-09 17:06:39

I've wondered about this as well. I think it might be smart for ds1 and 2 to get a booster in their teens.

CoteDAzur Fri 05-Jun-09 17:19:02

Is your baby a boy or a girl?

The very minute danger mumps represents is to post-pubescent boys & men. So if you you have a boy, vaccinate him at about age 9 if he still hasn't had mumps by then.

Mumps is quite a mild disease for children. I didn't vaccinate DD against it, as I feel lifelong immunity from actually having mumps is much preferable to the fickle immunity from the vaccines that might or might not fade in a few years.

spicemonster Fri 05-Jun-09 17:20:27

There are no single mumps vaccines being made and the company that has the licence (Merck) has no intention of making more. There may be a chance that some other manufacturer will start doing it once Merck loses their exclusivity but I cannot find a single person who can tell me when that is.

So you can't have it now, even if you want it.

stressed2007 Fri 05-Jun-09 21:36:17

I have been told the exact opposite of that. My DD has the mumps single 2 years ago and my niece about 6 months ago so there are still vaccines around.

Clinic today said Merck currently flat out making the vaccines for USA that is now giving a 4 in 1 MMR - includes chickenpox and is concentrating on mass order for them When finished they are going to start the mumohs singles again.

Do you know something they don't?

Thanks

jabberwocky Sat 06-Jun-09 03:57:19

Merck has a history of stopping and starting production on these. I have followed this for many years now as we have to battle a bit more to get singles done in the US. The doctors typically state that they are not available so I follow the website and print out the dates they do become available and so on...

stressed2007 Sat 06-Jun-09 14:17:49

very interesting info thanks. Do you have a link to this so I can also follow this info please

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 06-Jun-09 14:22:30

Cote - can I just say that as someone who had Mumps at school, although it is not a major thing for girls in the same way as for boys I had 1 month off school in total feltthe worst I have ever felt and really would't wish is on any child.

not wishing to start a vaccinate / not vaccinate discussion, just letting you know of my experience of it. smile

CoteDAzur Sat 06-Jun-09 15:39:20

How old were you 'at school'?

I had mumps at the age of 6 and remember my ears hurting. Of course it is an illness so not pleasant, but it is worth the certain lifelong immunity, is it not?

jabberwocky Sat 06-Jun-09 17:10:22

here ya go

link

lljkk Sat 06-Jun-09 17:51:12

A girl-friend who had mumps at about age 12 says the same things as Greyskull.

sarah293 Sat 06-Jun-09 17:57:26

Message withdrawn

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 06-Jun-09 19:48:06

I was 15 Cote, I love the life long immunity and with alot of things if the boys could get it young and it not be too bad I would have prefered that to vaccinating.

CoteDAzur Sat 06-Jun-09 20:45:56

I don't think I would wait until 15 for the DC to get mumps. Or rubella & chickenpox. (I'm vaccinating them against measles).

I will have their immunity tested at about age 9 and vaccinate if they still haven't had these illnesses.

shelsco Sun 07-Jun-09 14:42:00

My DS2 got mumps when 2 and a half but i was told by the dr that it definitely wasn't mumps and he was treated for an ear infection. My older son then got it about 2 or 3 weeks later and i was told the same thing so, as they were waiting to have the single mumps jab, i got their immunity tested. Both came back positive as having had mumps. So don't rely on doctors opinion if you suspect they have it!

stressed2007 Sun 07-Jun-09 19:49:11

Where can you get immunity tested? Thanks

shelsco Mon 08-Jun-09 09:07:29

I went to local GP practice. I told them that i suspected they had both had mumps (didn't mention that doctor had said it definitely wasn't)just said that they had been in contact with mumps and had the same symptoms as the confirmed case (a slight exaggeration as i didn't know where they got it!)They were both due for the vaccine and the private clinic wanted written proof that they had immunity before they would refund my deposit for the mumps vaccine. Also, obviously i needed to be sure they had actually had mumps before cancelling it. I spoke to the practice nurse and she did a saliva test on both boys. It took about 3 weeks to come back. I don't know if they would ordinarily have tested on the NHS but my practice were great and they wrote and noteon headed paper to confirm immunity. Private clinics such as Direct Health 2000 do test immunity but they charge somewhere in the region of £100.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now