Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I've googled but I'm not getting far and could do with a quick answer re. children's temperatures please

(7 Posts)
Mintyy Thu 04-Jun-09 20:09:19

DD (8) is 39.1. She doesn't feel that hot to the touch but is very sleepy and a bit shivvery. Says she has a headache.

DS (5) is 38.4. His tummy and chest are burning hot and he is covered in goosebumps. He feels sick, oh joy.

Have given them both calpol.

Do I need to do anything more? I am very ashamed to say I don't know the point at which you should contact a doctor with children's temperatures.

TIA

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 04-Jun-09 20:12:37

I personally would give ibuprofen too (makign note of timings and dosage ). I don't think docs are interested at that point though unless measures do not lower temp.

I think bathing with tepid water is out of favour, but I have always found a lukewarm bath and meds very effective with mine.

Seona1973 Thu 04-Jun-09 20:16:25

do you have nurofen as that can be more effective at bringing down a temperature. The BBC health website says to call a doctor if the fever is above 38.5 degrees. I would give nhs direct a ring as your dd's temperature is really quite high.

Bucharest Thu 04-Jun-09 20:19:17

I give paracetomol etc after 38.5 (although hypochondriac dp wants to do it at 37...) I'd ring the doc about your daughter, but probably a dose of calpol will sort her out as well...smile dd went to almost 40 with her scarlatina thingummy which scared dp a lot, but the doc said it depended what illness was bringing on the fever, as generally fever is a Good Thing as it's the body's way of fighting off whatever lurgy they have...

holdingittogether Thu 04-Jun-09 20:22:57

My ds aged 6 had a temp of over 40 recently and nhs direct were not overly concerned as he is over 5 and less likely to have a febrile convulsion apparently. They recommended ibuprofen with calpol in between so they can have something more regularly. Ring nhs direct if you are concerned they can put you through to local out of hours if necessary.

Mintyy Thu 04-Jun-09 21:01:40

Thanks all.

They are tucked up in bed now, very tired, but not too miserable.

Its funny, dh and I were just discussing it, and we can't remember them ever both being ill at the same time before. Usually one follows the other ...

SweetApril Thu 04-Jun-09 22:25:34

My DD (2) has the same symptoms. High temp, lethargic, very shivery and covered in goosebumps with a very hot tummy and back. I've been giving Calpol which has worked fine in the day but for some reason last night and tonight temp has shot up and Calpol not making a great difference. Went to (lovely) GP earlier who checked her over and said most likely a virus.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question but just wanted you to know you're not the only one! Plus I noticed a thread below with similar symptoms so maybe something doing the rounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now