Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

if a child is obviously ill with chicken pox are they still contagious?

(10 Posts)
Meglet Tue 02-Jun-09 14:08:52

Maybe I'm panicking about this.....

Me and ds spent part of this morning with another toddler who's childminder told us was ill with chicken pox, he's covered in spots, wasn't eating as he had it in his throat and is on loads of calpol. I know they stop being contagious once the spots start scabbing over, but I didn't get that close to the poor little lad to check what the spots were like. Would I be right in assuming that if he's still feeling ill then he's probably still contagious?

Ds had it as a baby but I know it can strike twice. I just don't want it in the house now as I'm having a major op next month and need to get organised before I'm bedridden all summer. [Neurotic panic emoticon].

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 14:13:07

If he's still feeling rough then I would think he probably still is contagious.

If your DS has already had it, he's probably fine though. Have you had it??

belgo Tue 02-Jun-09 14:14:48

yes he was probably still contagious.

Meglet Tue 02-Jun-09 14:24:21

Bugger bugger bugger.

I've had it, but am going into panic mode about shingles and the possibility of 8mo dd getting it. I'm a lone parent and having a hysterectomy next month so we need a healthy household for a while. Oh well, we shall see if anything develops over the next week.

SheherazadetheGoat Tue 02-Jun-09 14:28:50

you can't catch shingles, but i would be concerned about your 8 month old.

why teh hell was this child out and about mixing with other children?

SheherazadetheGoat Tue 02-Jun-09 14:29:19

was your dd with you?

nickytwotimes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:31:18

Ffs, the kid shouldn't be hanging around with other people in that state.
It is contagious until THE LAST SPOT HAS SCABBED OVER.

Wallace Tue 02-Jun-09 16:34:33

Chickenpox is contagious for 5 days after the first spots appear. So if it was after that it shoul dbe okay, but if he was still feeling ill it is unlikely that it hs been that long.

Meglet Tue 02-Jun-09 17:03:51

Dd wasn't with us, but maybe we could have bought the virus home with us and it might be lurking in the house hmm.

Wallace Tue 02-Jun-09 19:57:27

I think you'll be ok then. UNlikely to strike twice, and I don't think you can bring the virus home. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now