Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Brown bits in baby sick

(9 Posts)
tinybaba Mon 01-Jun-09 19:57:20

Hello, I'm new to mumsnet and am after some advice. My 5 month old breastfed baby has been sick after the last 3 feeds with dark brown/ reddish stringy bits in. She has reflux so is often sick but is always just milk.

Everything on the internet makes me worried but I have heard that babies can burst capillaries when they have colds that can cause this?. She has a bit of a cold, nothing much.

She also hasn't pooed for 12 days, but I've told that this is ok for a breastfed baby (though still makes me nervous). She doesn't seem in pain and is her usual self.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

BCNS Mon 01-Jun-09 20:06:14

don't google.. just go to the GP .. best off checked out..

tinybaba Mon 01-Jun-09 20:09:45

Thanks, do you think I should take her now (she's in bed) or wait until the morning?. I always think I worry too much!

BCNS Mon 01-Jun-09 20:12:25

your allowed to worry .. it's your job now

honestly if it were me.. I'd give nhs direct a call.. see what they say..and be guided by them.. they are very cautious with little ones

BCNS Mon 01-Jun-09 20:13:59

0845 4647 there is the nhs direct number number for you.

hope that helps

herbietea Mon 01-Jun-09 20:14:32

Message withdrawn

Egg Mon 01-Jun-09 20:17:13

My DS1 had this in his sick when he was 5 days old. It was definitely blood and I was terrified as he was so small and also my PFB. I called NHS Direct who told me to take him to A&E.

Anyway it turned out it had been from me when he was breastfeeding (bad latch cracked nips etc!), but I had seen no evidence of bleeding on myself. However when I expressed a week or two later I could see blood going into the milk [bleurgh].

Is there any chance it could be from you? If not definitely get it checked out. Esp coupled with the no pooing for 12 days. I would do as BCNS said and call NHS Direct first. I have always found them really helpful.

tinybaba Mon 01-Jun-09 20:32:10

Doesn't look like coffee grounds, more like mucus?
Don't think it was from me as I've never had bleeding when bfeeding. Will take her tonight, thanks everyone.

tinybaba Wed 03-Jun-09 13:44:08

Just to let you know that all is ok. GP thinks it was stomach lining due to reflux. Baby seems fine and it's not happened again :0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now