Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox vaccine - any experiences?

(6 Posts)
ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 01-Jun-09 18:47:51

My American cousins' children recently had a chicken pox vaccine.

Is it available in the UK? Is it a good idea?

mrsnoname Fri 05-Jun-09 21:18:42

It's almost unheard of in the UK (same as Rotarix). It is however very-very common on the Continent (and so is Rotarix).

I have a choice of vaccinating as my kids have dual citizenship, but decided against it.
If the child is looked after well, it rarely has serious implications. IMO, not worth vaccinating as they can still get CP anyway, and will only be protected for about 15-20 years, then will need booster.
Vaccine is available in UK, but bloody expensive....much much cheaper elsewhere.

chickers Fri 05-Jun-09 21:29:57

Not available in UK- not sure why. Think any immunisation is a good idea can still see the awful scars on all my kids from the pox!!

psychomum5 Fri 05-Jun-09 21:35:34

it is available, as I have had it during pregnancy, but it is hidiously expensive so they only do it in real need.

it cost the NHS £360 to vaccinate me (lovely MW complaining to me as she jabbed me how much it was costinghmmangry), but it didn;t actually work anyway. I was given it at 38wks pregnant, to prevent DD3 being birn with it and me also having it, it failed to work (altho it might have been given to late to be fair), and so I have a buggered immunity now, and DD3 has an immune deficiancy and is now on long-term (maybe life-long) antibiotics.

I would never recommend it unless it was a serious concern for the child/adult to catch it, as in the general population it is not that serious a disease IMVHO.

psychomum5 Fri 05-Jun-09 21:36:30

I will add, it was 10yrs ago I was vaccinated, so it might have improved since then.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 07-Jun-09 11:25:59

The clinic where we had our single measles jabs from offers chicken pox jabs so definately available privately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now