Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When in Majorca is it safe to............

(8 Posts)
topsyturveymum Sat 30-May-09 11:22:32

We are off to Majorca for a week on Monday. I haven't taken my 3.5 yo dd abroad before and obviously want to ensure she has a great time and avoids any possible 'holiday tummy'.

I haven't been abroad for 5 yrs and can't really remember the does and don'ts as far as what is safe to eat is concerned. DH has been promising her an endless supply of ice-cream, but something is ringing alarm bells in the back of my mind that ice-cream when abroad can be a bit dodgy. Also is it OK to eat salads? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Claire2301 Sat 30-May-09 11:34:08

Hi,
Try to make sure she drinks bottled water (no tap water)
Salads are ok if really well washed.
Watermelon is apparently slightly dodgy as in some countries they inject more water into the melon.
Ice cream haven't ever had problems with and kids didn't have any ill effects on it.I however had chicken in Portugal last year and ended up signed off work for two weeks with camplyobacter!
Hope you have a nice holiday.

MrsMattie Sat 30-May-09 11:35:23

Avoud Mr Whippy-type ice cream from the machines if you want to be extra careful, as it's sometimes associated with food poisoning. Ice cream from the tub is Ok, though.

abraid Sat 30-May-09 12:03:42

We've never had trouble in Majorca with ice-cream. We all ate salad and water melon, too.

topsyturveymum Sun 31-May-09 19:38:42

Thanks all for your advice. all read and taken on board!

herbietea Sun 31-May-09 19:43:40

Message withdrawn

luckywinner Sun 31-May-09 19:48:16

I completely agree herbie, the water tastes foul. We did the same.

No probs here with any food when we went in May. I am envy, have a lovely time.

abraid Sun 31-May-09 21:00:10

I love Majorca. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now