Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my DD ages 4 still has the downy fluffy hair on her torso, is it normal?

(7 Posts)
chuffinell Fri 29-May-09 11:46:46

my dd was 2 weeks late when she was born, and had lovely fluffy downy baby hair on her shoulders and back

i assumed it would just fall out as she got older but its still there and she is 4. i dont want her to get teased at school, and just wondered if anyone had any similar with their DC? is this normal or do i need to see the doc?

QueenofAllWildThings Fri 29-May-09 15:24:38

Is she slim? I think thinner children keep this 'down' for longer. My daughter has some on her shoulders and back and she's 2 (and very slim), whereas my son is 4.5 and still has it on his shoulders... it's not that noticeable. I wouldn't think a doc would do anything about it, TBH, but it might at least set your mind at rest - I'm sure it's normal.

tink123 Fri 29-May-09 19:54:51

My daughter (6) has got fine black hairs everywhere, shoulder, legs, arms, back and has had them since she was born.

WorzselMummage Fri 29-May-09 19:56:22

My DD's 4 and has a really hairy back, I'm quite hairy too though so'd DF so i don;t think it has anything to do with anything else except furry genes grin

chuffinell Mon 01-Jun-09 09:28:07

thank you all for reassuring me. yes she is very slim, still in age 2-3 trousers bless her

i am not too hairy and she has light brown hair - but her dad is v dark haired so maybe its from him?

i wont take her the docs (am already down as paranoid mum i think!!) but if she goes for something else i may mention it

it seems a silly thing to fret about but there you go

thanks all

KathH Tue 02-Jun-09 22:41:56

DS2 sounds the same - he's nearly 5 but only in age 2 - 3 clothing. He has lovely blonde fluffy hair everywhere - i tell him that he's like a little peach (dh is not impressed!)

feedthegoat Tue 02-Jun-09 22:47:24

I was smiling to myself tonight when changed my ds into pj's as he still has downy hair on his shoulders and back. I'd not heard about it lasting longer in slim children (he is slim). At least the dark brown hairy tufts on his ears wore off when he was about 6 months old grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now