Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children's Travel Sickness

(10 Posts)
chickiewoo Thu 28-May-09 22:11:36

Hi there - any recommendations for travel sickness medication for my 3.5 year old? We have a 3 hour trip to the airport next week, followed by a 3 hour flight. The last 2 occasions we've travelled this distance he has vomited quite badly both in the car and plane and got really quite upset. Am going to the chemists at the weekend for some advice on what to give him but was looking for some advice on anything you've used which has been successful? Thank you

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 29-May-09 01:25:38

Phenergan. Not used it for travel sickness, though it is for that, but it makes lo's sleep, so will probably help in that way

PrincessLayer Fri 29-May-09 01:54:57

Phenergan, and when he gets a bit older Stugeron tablets.

RockinSockBunnies Fri 29-May-09 02:17:25

Apparently putting brown paper underneath the child's vest/T-shirt helps with travel sickness. I know it sounds daft and could be an old wive's tale but perhaps there's no harm in trying?

scienceteacher Fri 29-May-09 05:54:55

Joyrides

bumptwitknocker Thu 04-Jun-09 20:29:15

Joyrides, too.

listenglisten Thu 04-Jun-09 20:37:53

My ds gets travel sick altough not to the extent where he is vomiting a lot.

We have tried various travel tablets which did seem to work but wanted to add that the last time we went on a long journey, and it was by coach, we gave him Boots homeopathic travel tablets.

They worked so well (and for dh too who is a terrible traveller) that now we have ditched the other tablets altogether. Ds was even able to sit and play his Nintendo DS, eat etc, which would normally make him feel so sick.

Maybe they are worth a try?

Jux Thu 04-Jun-09 22:18:17

Have you tried travel bands? I have some and they're great; I lent them to dd for a school trip and they worked to an extent but it would have been better if I'd got her kids travel bands as they'd have fitted her better![bad mummy].

Travel bands fit round your wrists and have a little plastic nodule that somehow or other, something like acupuncture, prevents travel sickness. The good thing about them is that you can use them time and time again and you don't have to shove pills/medication down your child's throat.

If you do decide to give them a try then make sure you get them in the right place, there are instructions.

chickiewoo Thu 11-Jun-09 19:03:12

Thanks for all your replies - I opted for Joyrides - and they worked a treat! No sickness whatsoever and a really pleasant journey!

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 11-Jun-09 19:30:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now