Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD2's reaction to cold - redness, white raised rash, swelling - any ideas?!

(15 Posts)
babblington Tue 26-May-09 20:31:42

This is quite strange, I think - but could someone reassure me it's normal and nothing to be concerned about?
DD2 is nearly 3, whenever she gets cold (actually exposed to cold, i.e. face and wrists in winter, and whole body when in and out of the paddling pool on Saturday) she came up in large white lumps like nettle stings all over her arms and legs, her face, arms and legs swelled up and she went bright red except for where she was white and lumpy. not an attractive look! Seemed absolutely fine within herself, returned to normal when warm again. Anyone got any ideas? Please!

babblington Tue 26-May-09 20:48:40

bump

Wheelybug Tue 26-May-09 20:50:54

I used to get this - mainly on legs I think, Also when getting damp.

I must have grown out of it.

babblington Tue 26-May-09 21:01:01

Not lasting damage then?! I kind of think it's just something to do with blood rushing from one part of the body to another, but haven't really got a clue!

Wallace Tue 26-May-09 21:02:08

Sounds like Hives.

I used to get it as a teenager as a reaction to hot water, like in the shower.

Wallace Tue 26-May-09 21:05:47

Your dd's would be Cold Urticaria

babblington Tue 26-May-09 21:08:08

Do hives have to be itchy? She's not itchy at all. Thanks for the link wallace - I'm not utterly sure as the raised bumps aren't red - they are white - exactly like nettle stings but bigger. And no itch!

Wallace Tue 26-May-09 21:17:15

Don't know about the itchyness, but hives can be white raised lumps.

Wallace Thu 28-May-09 21:32:53

bumping for you

Wallace Thu 04-Jun-09 20:13:08

Bumping for you again - I'm interested in seeing if anypone has any ideas

babblington Fri 05-Jun-09 22:09:20

Thanks for the repeated bumps- it got much worse over the week - she washed her hands in cool water and her hands swelled hugely - ridiculous over reaction. I'm taking her to the doctors on Tuesday, after scaring myself silly reading about cold urticaria on the internet!

babblington Fri 05-Jun-09 22:10:25

ho ho - repeated bumps (!)

luvaduck Fri 05-Jun-09 22:15:25

it very much sounds like cold urticaria. they can be exactly like you describe - white raised bumps.
hope the doc refers you.

BCNS Fri 05-Jun-09 22:18:08

soon as I saw this I wanted to say cold urticaria

Wallace Sat 06-Jun-09 06:40:35

lol at repeated bumps.

Your poor dd, let us know what the doc says on Tuesday.

I went swimming last Friday, and came out in a couple of bumps on my shoulders - I think it was the shower before i got in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now