Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6mo DS has popping sound in hips

(6 Posts)
ruthosaurus Mon 25-May-09 23:19:11

I've noticed over the last few days that when I feed DS and he gets excited about getting fed and pumps his legs that his hips have started to make an audible popping sound. At least, I think that's what it is. The popping noise does not seem to cause him pain and he can take his own weight standing when supported and sit up. He does not seem lopsided at all (but then I would say that, I'm his mum).

Could this be hip dysplasia and if so shouldn't it have started when he was a lot smaller i.e. in time to be picked up at his 8 week checkup? I have just freaked myself out by googling this and am now imagining surgery and all sorts of horrible contraptions etc for DS, poor lamb.

LesbianMummy1 Tue 26-May-09 14:25:37

mine was not picked up till I was 2 and there is family history of it it's worth getting checked out surgery is not always needed especially if caught early he's only 6 months old so may only need special nappies etc

ruthosaurus Tue 26-May-09 23:50:17

Thanks, got him checked out at the GP today and apparently all is normal (although it was more like a tussle than a checkup as my huge child is almost as strong as our tiny GP). No dislocation or anything. My own hips are a bit weird anyway, but not arthritic, so we'll see.

cory Wed 27-May-09 17:28:32

How are your hips weird, ruthosaurus?

Hypermobility is one thing that could cause clicking noises. Ds rattles like and old tool box when he walks around.

ruthosaurus Thu 04-Jun-09 23:02:24

Um, don't tell anyone, but sometimes they get stuck during sex. Not really going to be a worry for DS.

cookielove Fri 05-Jun-09 21:00:39

i went to the doc today about joint problems and he said the popping sound is air escaping the joint odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now