Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 year old Son has Birthmark on Brain which may be causing convulsions

(9 Posts)
KatPoo Sun 17-May-09 20:47:12

We have been told our son has a birthmark on his brain and that this needs to be investigated under an MRI scan. He is a perfectly normal 6 year old. . . .other than the fact that a few weeks ago (and 2 yearsc previously) he banged his head & had a convulsion / passed out. I guess this 'birthmark may be related to this?! We are going to see a paediatric neurologist on 1st June who is going to explain more but justy wondered if anyone else out there had been told this / knows what is means.Thank you

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 17-May-09 20:50:19

i do not know sorry but bumping for someone who does?

would you just not know anything was amiss if you had not had mri?

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 17-May-09 20:50:20

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 17-May-09 20:50:21

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 17-May-09 20:50:41

[soz]

edam Sun 17-May-09 20:55:16

Blimey, have never heard of this. Was it discovered during an MRI? Wonder what 'birthmark on the brain' means in technical doctor-speak.

FWIW apparently a LOT of people are walking around with brain 'abnormalities' that they just don't know about because most of us never have cause to have a scan.

He's only had two convulsions in his whole life, so I'd try not to worry too much. Paediatric neurologist may want to see you to explain the findings but it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get very dramatic news or anything.

Btw, I had a scan when I was 28 and discovered I had enlarged ventricles in my brain. This had never caused me any problems at all, no idea it was there, had loads of O and A levels and a degree and career etc. etc. etc.

However, have to admit the reason for the scan was I'd had three seizures and I was then diagnosed with epilepsy. But the neurologist was very clear about there being no evidence at all it was anything to do with the ventricles - no reason why something that hadn't caused any problems for 28 years should suddenly start doing strange things at that point. My epilepsy is unexplained to this day (but is fine, just have to take two tablets at night. No-one would ever know if I didn't tell them.)

KatPoo Sun 17-May-09 21:03:39

So far he has only had a CT scan that shows a birthmark but they want to look in more detail under an MRI. . . . . . I think a bit like that too - if had never had CT scan, then we would have never known it was there. . . . . Sometimes these medical people like to find a problem! hmm

girlandboy Sun 17-May-09 21:09:32

A "vascular birthmark" can be on the brain, and on other parts of the body too. Perhaps it's one of those?

10rainbows Sun 19-May-13 22:08:17

My son has the same. How is your son doing now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now