Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What to expect - just found 2 big teeth growing BEHIND baby teeth.

(23 Posts)
wishiwasinbarbados Fri 08-May-09 20:50:57

I have been worried that my ds (7 next week) hasn't lost any teeth yet. Tonight I saw 2 big teeth growing quite a way behind (ie inside his mouth) his baby teeth. Obviously a trip to the dentist is in order, but wondered if anyone else has had this, and what we can expect to be done about it.

BONKERZ Fri 08-May-09 20:52:40

my sons big teeth had grown before his teeth fell out, he never had a gap! Had no problems as all the grown teeth straightened out once they pushed out the baby teeth! my sons dentist said its quite common and left the baby teeth to come out naturally!

mumonthenet Fri 08-May-09 20:54:57

my dd's teeth mostly came through normally but one of her front teet came through ABOVE the baby front tooth...but on the outside iyswim.

Dentist said give it two weeks for baby tooth to fall...(told dd to wiggle it as much as possible)

Two weeks later tooth still hadn't fallen out so dentist wiggled it out herself with a tiny bit of local anaesthetic.

Front tooth then grew down and settled into place.

fluffles Fri 08-May-09 20:57:41

i had this as a child, most of them were eventually removed by the dentist (not really sore, they came out easily) and then it was braces i'm afraid. but better to have the braces at primary school i think - it was just a retainer.

wishiwasinbarbados Fri 08-May-09 20:59:13

Oh, so maybe no need to panic then!!!! Sorry for being paranoid, but Bonkerz - were the big teeth right next to the baby ones, or a distance away?

NorbertDentressangle Fri 08-May-09 21:01:01

DD(9) has had this happen with lots of her teeth. On the whole as soon as the milk tooth comes out the big tooth moves forward to fill the gap.

The dentist has been quite laid back about it and said to just see how things go at the regular 6 month check-ups.

DD looks as if she may have a problem with over-crowding though so may have to have some removed and a brace in the future

SmallerClanger Fri 08-May-09 21:08:46

We had just this situation & I took DD(6.5) to dentist who was not at all worried & said it would all be OK. Are still a bit twisty but they did shift forward OK - we hope they will sort out once all the big teeth are through. It just took ages for the baby tooth to drop out & caused a bit of pain. Was so glad when it fell out.Good luck!

bruffin Fri 08-May-09 22:23:45

My DD had a row of new teeth behind her baby teeth as well.From what I gather it's quite normal.

SoWhat Fri 08-May-09 22:28:41

I had this as a child and also had to go to the dentist to have the milk teeth removed. My teeth are pretty straight and I didn't need a brace.

wishiwasinbarbados Fri 08-May-09 22:58:33

Thanks everyone - I feel much better about it now! My child is normal!

BONKERZ Fri 08-May-09 23:14:33

the big teeth were directly behind the baby teeth and pushed out his baby teeth the bigger they got!

Hulababy Fri 08-May-09 23:17:27

My teeth did this when I was a child. I ended up having several baby teeth, and some adult teeth removed by th dentist and then doible braces to reposition thm all.

I'd have the dentist have a look early on as s/he may decide how best to proceed and if it is worth removing teeth now to prevent problems later.

Mutt Fri 08-May-09 23:20:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treacletart Fri 08-May-09 23:24:44

That's amazing - I was going to post the exact same thing tonight about DS! Glad to read it's so usual.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 11-Jul-09 21:12:56

WishiwasinBarbados:

2 months later, have the baby teeth fallen out yet?

Am in a panic because tonight I noticed that DS1 aged 5 has an adult tooth growing quite a way behind his baby one (bottom middle) at an angle pointing towards his tongue - the angle it seems to be growing through makes it hard to imagine how it's going to be able to push the baby one out!

kylesmybaby Sat 11-Jul-09 21:28:06

exactly the same thing happened to ds 7. hadn't lost any teeth. then big teeth were growing behind middle bottom 2 at a funny angle. they just pushed themselves into place and at the same time knocked the baby teeth out. looked odd for a while but very normal.

DontCallMeBaby Sat 11-Jul-09 21:45:20

DD's teeth did this - and the baby teeth took six MONTHS from first wobble to come out. Within a day of the first one coming out you could already see that the adult tooth behind it moving forward to take up its place. I do hope that the dentist, who last saw DD when the teeth had been wobbly for a couple of weeks, won't be too shocked at her forthcoming six-monthly check to be told they only came out a few weeks ago!

yappybluedog Sat 11-Jul-09 21:56:01

the adult teeth look MASSIVE don't they?
my dd has tiny tiny baby teeth and I don't know how all the big teeth are going to fit in her little mouth

Pyrocanthus Sun 12-Jul-09 20:24:30

My DD had this, with new tooth growing at an odd angle; the dentist whipped out the milk tooth on the spot, leaving DD very shocked and upset. A dentist friend later told me he'd have let nature take its course, to avoid the distress to DD (he has stong feelings about the causes of dentist phobia in adults).

The now not-so-new tooth is gradually shifting to a more normal position of its own accord, though I suspect it might need a bit of help to straighten completely.

mumonthenet Sun 12-Jul-09 20:32:11

oh pyro, what a shame she had such an insensitive (stoooopid) dentist. I so agree with your dentist friend who gave you advice later.

We were very lucky when dd's were tiny we had such a nice lady dentist.....she was quite amazing...used to tell them everything she was going to do, used to let them feel whatever instrument she was using on the back of their hands first so they could understand that though the noise was frightening, the rest wasn't. They have no fear whatsoever of the dentist, though I have never found one as empathetic as her. (She moved away)

Pyrocanthus Sun 12-Jul-09 20:52:45

Yeah, pity I didn't get the second opinion first, as it were. Her dentist told me it would be less traumatic to do it straightaway, and I kind of fell for it.

Fortunately, she's showed no sign of being afraid of dentists since, and I did promise that if another situation like that arose, we'd talk to our friend before deciding on treatment.

She got her own back several hours later, in the supermarket, where she stood in front of the confectionery shelves and said loudly, 'Mummy, can I have some sweets to make up for having my tooth taken out?'

Ooh, the looks I got.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 13-Jul-09 07:51:56

Ouch, Pyro. I guess the appropriate answer to that is 'YES DARLING, SEEING AS YOUR TOOTH WAS NOT REMOVED DUE TO DECAY, YOU CAN'

(come to think of it, that emoticon has very good teeth ...)

Simsara Sun 01-Jan-17 10:50:52

Hi just a quick one any updates as my 5 year old after losing his baby tooth yesterday has a adult tooth growing in the direction of his tongue and I'm really worried as the angle of the tooth is direct towards the back and I cannot get a dental appointment for 3 days . How did you all get on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now