Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has really prominent ears. Has anyone herad of Ear Buddies

(28 Posts)
TheDOGmamma Tue 05-May-09 16:10:13

Message withdrawn

TheDOGmamma Tue 05-May-09 16:49:57

Message withdrawn

RinkyDinkyPinky Tue 05-May-09 18:37:59

Yes. DD1 was born 46 hours after my waters broke and the lack of cushioning meant she had slightly squashed ears. We used ear buddies from 3 weeks after birth for a few weeks. They worked really well and I'm very glad we used them. I wish we'd left them in for a week or two longer, but v pleased with results.
They were a bit fiddly to apply (2 person job) because they are so small.
DD didn't notice them at all.

TheDOGmamma Tue 05-May-09 18:50:19

Message withdrawn

RinkyDinkyPinky Tue 05-May-09 19:25:01

The results were v good for us. I'd recommend that you get some and carry the literature with you to show to people who are curious.
FWIW I was recommended them by the brilliant midwife who delivered us, however my health visitor and other health profs hadn't heard of them.
They are non- invasive and as I said my DD didn't notice them at any point.
I did feel a bit odd at first because I had to make the decision, on her behalf, to put them on my baby's ears, but as anyone who looks can see they are tiny little soft splints held in place by sticky tape. It is easier to do something when advised by a doctor.
I think that if I hadn't used them I/ my DD may still be getting comments about what funny ears she has. And I hope that we have avoided the possibility of her wanting surgery later in life.
The worst part of the whole thing for us was having to shave a small patch of DD's head since she was born with such long hair.
If we were off to somewhere public they could be covered by a hat.
Good luck!

bumpybecky Tue 05-May-09 19:44:51

I've not heard of them before, but if I had 11 years ago, I'd have used them on dd1 (it's her birthday today, that's the first time I've said she's 11 - odd!)

dd1 has very prominent ears, they really do stick out to be honest though she's never been teased about it and has never made a negative comment to us about them

but, if I'd been offered a non-surgical option that could work like this in such a small time span, I'd have tried it

your dd will be wearing a sun hat this summer anyway, I'm sure most people wouldn't notice anyway

TheDOGmamma Tue 05-May-09 19:56:36

Message withdrawn

popsycal Tue 05-May-09 19:59:45

i wish I had known about these for ds2. I found them when he was about 6 months so too late. I would use them if I had my time again

Waswondering Tue 05-May-09 22:15:11

I have one sticky out ear and one normal one which my mother stressed about sooo much when I was a baby (noone notices now and I certainly don't!). I saw a documentary about this a few years ago which pointed out that a normal ear has a fold in it which keeps it neatly against the head while a sticky out one doesn't - true for me - and it featured children (can't remember how old - children though, not babies) having a fold put in during minor surgery to correct this. I haven't opened your link so not sure if it's the same but wanted to share my TV watching wisdom! smile

TheDOGmamma Wed 06-May-09 13:34:55

Message withdrawn

tkband3 Wed 06-May-09 13:40:07

My friend's DD had these when she was about 3 months old for about 2-3 months and it made a huge difference. My friend agonised over it for ages, but it was when some of her so-called friends started commenting on her lovely baby's 'dr spock' ears that she decided she wanted to do it for her DD's sake. She was worried that people would think she was doing it out of vanity, but having been bullied for having prominent ears herself at school, she was desperate to avoid the same fate for her DD.

It was totally painless and she bought some little hairbands to put over the baby's ears so that the little splints and the plasters holding them in place were hidden.

TheDOGmamma Wed 06-May-09 14:53:11

Message withdrawn

TheDOGmamma Wed 06-May-09 14:53:59

Message withdrawn

hellsbelles Fri 15-May-09 12:24:48

hi ladies

Glad to come across this post! I've just had a consultation with Mr Gault this morning and Belle is now the proud wearer of ear buddies to correct her prominent ears. It was no fuss for him to fit them...but I think we are in for a long haul as she is nearly 4 months now so it could take 3-4 months...though as I'm breastfeeding it may be shorter (hormones from that make the cartilidge softer). I just saw the post on headbands...I haven't been able to find any that aren't horrible (i.e. with huge attached flowers!)....has anyone got any idea where I can get some online?

jumpingbeans Fri 15-May-09 12:33:49

Well, thirty odd years ago, we used to keep the bonnet on the baby, yes bonnet shock and turn the lo from side to side every hour, it worked

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-May-09 12:41:50

is this site any good?

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-May-09 12:43:06

for hair bands belles, they are the most plain designs i've manage to find and the cheapest too.

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-May-09 12:49:17

or you could always go for something subtle like this gem! wink

hellsbelles Fri 15-May-09 15:24:28

littlemiss - LOL - I saw that site too - it scared me off hairbands for life!!! thanks so much for the other link - they look very promising. I found a pink towelling one (!) when I went out at lunchtime - the plainest I could find...she looks like she's off for a run - poor little thing. And every so often it goes down over her eyes for added annoyance....

hellsbelles Fri 15-May-09 15:35:13

jumpingbeans - I guess it makes sense that would have worked (follows the same principal)...but I'm worried she'd overheat if I put that on her at night....i'm so paranoid about SIDs

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-May-09 15:38:04

I never knew how hard plain head bands were to find....! Still can't get over the giant flower, i mean wtf... who would put something on their child that's bigger than their head?hmm.

Have a lovely image of your dd in full running gear (118 118 stylee) and sweat band!wink

I think the ones in my link will be too big also but quite easy to shorten....or if you or anyone in your family are the creative type you could make your own, with some off cuts from the material shop and some thick elastic....?

hellsbelles Fri 15-May-09 15:42:27

that's exactly what she looks like - or olivia newton john in 'let's get physical'!!! She's going to ask me in years to come why I have dressed her like a chav when she's sees photos...moral question - do I admit she had huge bat ears and we fixed them or do I pretend to have horrendous taste (and a love of babies in headbands!!) to protect her feelings ;-)

tkband3 Sat 16-May-09 08:36:33

these hairbands look quite nice. Or if you have a branch close to you, H&M do lovely hairbands for babies.

hellsbelles Sat 16-May-09 11:22:31

thanks TK - those are very pretty and I shall give Hennes a try. So far she doesn't seem to be finding the ear buddies at all uncomfortable which is great - she had a normal nights sleep - but I guess the problems arise if the skin gets irritated by the tape....I'm already paranoid about bathtime...she had a headband and a shower cap on last night to avoid splashes (as you can't let the tapes get wet!)

alincha Sat 06-Jun-09 15:38:57

Hellsbelles - just curious, how did you find Dr Gault ? I had an appointment with him as well, he fitted the ear-buddies fine, no problem. But I found his attitude a bit condescending / too non-chalant . Especially considering what we paid for about 20 min appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now