Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

V. nasty cut on 18 month old's (previously beautiful dimpled) chin...Q about scarring potential.

(26 Posts)
thehairybabysmum Sun 19-Apr-09 20:34:49

My poor DS2 fell ont he landing on Friday am, basically his fall was stopped by his chin hitting the corner of a wall mounted plug socket. Horrible...he bit right through his lip to the oputside but worse, there was basically a chunky flap of skin hanging off.

Went to A&E as it needed looking at and they put steri strips on. HaS NOW HEALED to a scab BUT BASICALLY THE STICKY (sorry caps) out flap bit has not laid flat so it is a lumpy wound. The scar is basicaly 3 sides of a square shaped.

I am obviously a bit worried about the future scarring, i appreciate there will be a scar but am worried that as the flap is not flat that it will be a hideous lumpy scar rather than just a line IYSWIM.

Does anyone know about such things? Is there anything i can do, i have heard about some gels that you can use to reduce scarring once it is fully healed?? Should i take him to docs or is this wasting their time??

I know i sound a bit precious, honestly im normally pretty laid back but it is on his face and right slap bang in the middle of it really!! It is the lumpiness that concerns me rather than there being a line of a scar.

Domesticallychallenged Sun 19-Apr-09 20:39:14

I have a scar on my chin after stopping myself on a slide with my chin when I was 5 - chin sliced on razor blades on the bottom of the slide!!!!!!!! I do have a scar but you can bearly see it.

thisisyesterday Sun 19-Apr-09 20:44:15

domestically!!! omg, the slide razor blade thing.
I remember when we were fairly little the council took our slide away from our local park in case of razor blades being put in it.
I've never, til this day actually heard about anyone who got hurt by this!

thisisyesterday Sun 19-Apr-09 20:45:10

and sorry, OP, I'd def go to the GP and ask if there is anything you can do to reduce scarring

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Apr-09 20:50:10

I can't believe my luck in finding this thread - I was just about to write one! My DS too recently cut his head open falling on the skirting board corner?!! Blood everywhere, very upseting. The hospital did the same, put strips on it. I also tried anti scar plasters as he kept picking the strips! I am gutted about scaring as its right between the eye brows. I am using bio oil every night and massaging it when he is asleep but who knows if it will work. I know just how you feel. They will always be beautuful though!

callmeovercautious Sun 19-Apr-09 20:51:07

So sorry he had this accident sad

I can hopefully give you our experience!

DD cut her head open at 20m (there is a thread on here from June last year if you want to search). DH in particular was and still is concerned about it.

We went to GP and got a prescription for Kelo-cote it is a silicone gel proven to help reduce scars.

It has helped we think - but then time has passed as well. We used it for 2 tubes worth - 6m?? then just bio oil now, twice a day.

She looks better but we are taking her back this week to get the GP to give us his opinion.

If you are worried it is not lined up properly take him to GP Monday am, they can fix things but sooner is better.

thehairybabysmum Sun 19-Apr-09 21:03:17

Wow, thanks for such quick replies!!

Oh my god DC...thats awful!!

I will go to the GP then...should i go soon, or wait a couple of weeks till a bit more healed??

Poor thing..he was so good bless him, afte the initial blood and tears he sat on my lap in a&e whilst they cleaned it up, had a poke around and then dresed it! The staff were fab too (york hosp.).

Im hoping it will make him rugged and sexy in later years grin

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Apr-09 21:04:25

Is Kelo-cote prescription only callmeovercautious? Do you think its better than the bio oil?

thisisyesterday Sun 19-Apr-09 21:11:29

sooner rather than later I would imagine

TheRedQueen Sun 19-Apr-09 21:21:14

Poor little mite! But how brave!

I would definitely go back to the GP and would expect them to take at least the "lumpiness" seriously. Assuming he doesn't opt for a beard(!), he has years of shaving ahead of him and a lumpy scar is not the best.

Best of luck.

TRQ

thehairybabysmum Sun 19-Apr-09 21:23:25

hadnt thought about shaving issues!

A beard hadnt figured either..i dont like them personally so i hope not!

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 19-Apr-09 21:25:09

Is the lumpy bit swelling thehairybabysmum?

greenelephant Sun 19-Apr-09 21:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

donna123 Sun 19-Apr-09 21:30:41

Put honey on it for tonight and cover it with micropore so the air doesn't get to it. But see the GP.

thehairybabysmum Sun 19-Apr-09 21:33:24

No i dont think it is swelling maryP and the edge doesnt lokk inflamed so seems to be healing ok in that respect.

I do agree green elephant...its just that it is right in the middle of his chin.

Will ring docs tmw to make an appt.

NervousNutty Mon 20-Apr-09 14:08:39

I am also very interested to read this thread.

Dd2 (9) fell and cuther face on a fence about 6mths ago. The cut was very neat and small and didn't even really bleed but it has definatly left a scar which starts off quite faint in the morning but is very prominent by the end of the day.

I have been wondering if there was anything I could put on it because it is bothering her now.

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 20-Apr-09 22:16:31

Any news thehairybabysmums?

callmeovercautious Mon 20-Apr-09 22:45:53

Hope you got on OK.

Kelocote was on prescription - or £30 odd to buy shock I find it better to go to GP with what you want and your reasons why - then leave it to them to tell you why you can't have it grin Our just agreed! In fact has used it herself and thinks it is fab. Must only be used once healed.

Bio oil is looking good as well - working well on her CP scars and has helped heal up some excema on my hands by putting it on her smile

thehairybabysmum Tue 21-Apr-09 09:05:15

I have a GP appt tomorrow morning so Ill let you all know how i get on.

I was going to get some more Biooil too. Didnt prevent stretchmarks (no surprise really) but i do think it has helped a bit after wards.

tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 23-Apr-09 22:06:43

Any news??!!

thehairybabysmum Sat 25-Apr-09 20:15:04

Sorry, slow to update.

Yes i went on weds and Dr said it was feeling fine but had never heard of such a thing as these gels hmm

He said he thinks it willbe fine and dramatically reduced in 3 months or so. After chating i then forgot to ask about the gel again (doh but had ds plus 3 yr old ds1 distracting me).

Anyway since yesterday it does look much better, though is still a definite ridge to it. You cant use the gel til it is fully healed anyway so thought id wait for it to heal over, have a mooch for such things in Boots and then go and get some from the dr at a later date.

Did look on the kelocote website though here and does look good as clinically proven. Also says it may work on stretch marks (though not proven)$ so shall defo try it for myself as my stomach bloomin covered in the buggers!!

thehairybabysmum Sat 25-Apr-09 20:16:40

Sorry, slow to update.

Yes i went on weds and Dr said it was feeling fine but had never heard of such a thing as these gels hmm

He said he thinks it willbe fine and dramatically reduced in 3 months or so. After chating i then forgot to ask about the gel again (doh but had ds plus 3 yr old ds1 distracting me).

Anyway since yesterday it does look much better, though is still a definite ridge to it. You cant use the gel til it is fully healed anyway so thought id wait for it to heal over, have a mooch for such things in Boots and then go and get some from the dr at a later date.

Did look on the kelocote website though here and does look good as clinically proven. Also says it may work on stretch marks (though not proven)$ so shall defo try it for myself as my stomach bloomin covered in the buggers!!

thehairybabysmum Sat 25-Apr-09 20:17:05

i mean healing fine.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:29:03

thehairybabysmum after all this time, came back to this thread. DS scar is still worrying me as it keeps swelling and dispite the time and use of the kelo cote gel still looks obvious.

How is your little ones scar now??

DeWe Sun 10-Jul-11 16:28:03

I've got what I think of as quite a big scar at the top of my nose. It's quite deep. I was attacked by a deer when I was 3. (Well, it was a large wooden deer on top of a bookcase that fell off and hit me)
No one has ever noticed it unless I've said something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now