Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mumpsvax

(12 Posts)
arabicabean Thu 16-Apr-09 14:57:00

Hi,

My baby is 14 months old now and will have his first measles vaccine next week. I was just wondering what other parents were doing who are starting with single vaccines.

The next vaccine after measles is usually mumps (Mumpsvax) however, Merck USA have ceased production for the forseeable future. The two clinics I phoned said that there was no date for resumption of supply. (The strain produced by Merck is the only one that is allowed to be imported into the country). He will have to have the rubella instead.

I have already discussed the risks of omitting this vaccine (for future review) with the GP and they are low enough for me to accept, but not ideal.

Are other parents (in a similar position) deciding to go for the MMR as a consequence of the lack of Mumpsvax?

Musukebba Thu 16-Apr-09 19:28:53

Could I ask what you were told by the GP about the risks of not vaccinating against mumps?

teacosy Thu 16-Apr-09 19:59:07

The clinic we used vaccinate against measles, then rubella, then mumps as standard, so I dont think there'd be a problem with your baby having them in this order.

We had our mumpsvax 2 weeks ago and they mentioned this issue about stock. IIRC this happened once before but supply did resume eventually.

What are the clinics recommending you do?

arabicabean Thu 16-Apr-09 22:15:10

Musukebba - The GP said that (of the three) mumps was the least severe illness. It is usually quite a mild infection and serious complications are rare in children. I hope to have my baby vaccinated before he is an adult, but sterility is also quite a rare complication in adults. He didn't give references to paediatric journals etc, but I generally agreed with what he had to say on mumps.

teacosy - I know that measles, being the most serious, is usually done first and then the others can be done as per availability. The clinics are recommending to wait. Can I ask where about in the country did your child receive the vaccine? The clinics I contacted are in Surrey.

PatientMum Wed 20-May-09 17:57:00

Hi, can you please tell me where you had your mumpsvax done in april ?

I have been waiting since 2005 for my son to have his pre school Mumps booster and am still no nearer getting the jab done.

donnymouse Wed 20-May-09 18:25:19

Merck has put out a email in the last day saying that they will resume supply of single measles/mumps/rubella from 2011.

arabicabean Wed 20-May-09 19:58:04

I wasn't expecting anyone to add to this thread!
donnymouse - Thanks for the information, I will contact my clinic tomorrow. 2011 seems a long way in the future.

kaz521 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:50:14

to Teacosy

Can you please let me know where your child has been vaccinated with mumpsvax as my clinic in same boat with waiting, i've been waiting since last year for my childs mumps booster which will complete her imm's she is 5.

I am also under pressure to take the MMR for my son who is 13 months in Nov/Dec time, I have a really pushy surgery nurse practitioner, do I have any other option?

from very frustrated mum

donnymouse Thu 04-Jun-09 08:12:18

Yes Kaz,

You can say NO.

Look into mumps and find out the real risks.

kalo12 Thu 04-Jun-09 08:23:27

mumps is only a problem for boys when they reach puberty, so you could wait a few years and have mmr at age 7 for example i think, if no single mumps vax has turned up.

FamilyDayOut Wed 01-Jul-09 12:24:58

Hi Arabicabean
My daughter (now 8) has not had the MMR.
She has had the single Measles jab at the age of 2 (due to the usual scare mongery of the Government and the GPs etc.), which I now regret. She hasn't hat the mumps jab, because of the low risk (if any) of the desease. Problem is, whom to catch mumps of, with so many vaccinated children...
Because you immunise your children against anything, you might want to read the following:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clifford.g.miller/risks.html#MumpsVaccineUnnecessary
AND :
http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/secret-british-mmr-vaccine-files-forced-open-by -legal-action/

FamilyDayOut Wed 01-Jul-09 12:26:12

Sorry, that was meant to read:
BEFORE you immunise your children against anything, you might want to read the following:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clifford.g.miller/risks.html#MumpsVaccineUnnecessary
AND :
http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/secret-british-mmr-vaccine-files-forced-open-by -legal-action/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now