Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can Slapped Cheeks cause vomiting/diarrhoea?

(11 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Mon 23-Mar-09 15:47:37

I think that my son has had (and still has) slapped cheeks, but how can you be sure that that's what it is?

He had a fever last Wednesday, and very red cheeks (I thought it was sunburns, but it didn't make sense as he spent only a few minutes outside). His cheeks were really warm

Then on Thursday morning, he started being sick, he vomited a few times Thursday and Friday, and had the runs.

He had a rash on his neck on Thursday but that went down within a day.

I just want to know if it can cause the vomiting, or if the two illnesses were related, or if indeed it is slapped cheeks...

I need to know because my best friend is pregnant. I will see GP tomorrow but I would like to know what people here know about it.

Many thanks!

Musukebba Mon 23-Mar-09 17:26:48

How old is your DS? The likely time for acquiring it is between 4 and 10 years of age.

Vomiting & diarrhoea are not normally associated with 'slapped cheek' disease (aka erythema infectiosum (EI)); it's usually a mild cold/runny nose that precedes the rash. Also the rash should classically spread over the body, arms and legs and stay for a few days. As it fades it sometimes takes on a lacy appearance.

For these reasons I'd say it was unlikely to be EI from your description, but it's very difficult to be sure over the internet. Even experienced GPs have problems in making an accurate clinical diagnosis.

Norovirus can occasionally cause similar appearance of the cheeks in children, but it's more of a 'flushing' than an actual rash. I would guess that fits the symptomatic description a bit better.

BlueberryPancake Mon 23-Mar-09 18:39:37

He is 3.5 and slapped cheeks has been going around the nursery, but to be honest I had never heard of it and didn't know anyuthing about the symptoms. It's only today, when he started again after a few days off last week, that other people told me about it. I'm really not sure if that was it, anyway it's nearly over now, he still has red cheeks but it's not so bad.

Seona1973 Mon 23-Mar-09 19:57:08

slapped cheek symptoms

Saltire Mon 23-Mar-09 20:02:55

It doesn't sound like our experiences of slapped cheek. My 2 were never sick or ahd diahorrea with it. However, Ds1, as a baby toddlerand less so now as an 11 year old, gets a rash on his face, and parts of his body when he has a virus of any sort. The first couple of times it ahppened I panicked thinking it was more serious, but we always know when he is ill as his face is bright red

Saltire Mon 23-Mar-09 20:05:09

Oh well, I am corrected, tha link said it could cause D&V in some children. i got last it year after the Dses, and all my joints were swollen, it was so bad I couldn't feed my self or dress myself.

Portofino Mon 23-Mar-09 20:11:52

There's cases apparently at my dd's school and they told us to look out for upset tummies and a rash.

poshtottie Mon 23-Mar-09 20:32:03

There is a lot of slapped cheek around apparently. DS was at the doctors today as had had similiar symptoms but had a terrible cold and cough first. Doc says its a virus.

cammers Mon 18-May-09 16:49:20

If you want any online information on slapped cheek or 'fifth disease' as it's also known see www.fifthdisease.org

5madthings Sat 20-Apr-13 12:25:40

I was just googling slapped cheek as my dd has bright red cheeks today. She became ill yesterday, temp, letgargic and then vommitting and today loose poo. still has bit of temp and bright red cheeks and snottu. But i didnt think you got vommitting with slapped cheek but you can sometimes?

idiot55 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:50:02

yes, both my kids did when they had it, I felt extremelly nauseaus for about a week but didnt vomit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now