Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Salt water for conjunctivitis

(17 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Mon 09-Mar-09 16:32:39

DD (14 mo) has conjunctivitis - have just returned from holiday with family inlcluding two GPs so the diagnosis is fairly unanimous. They both said the ointments are not up to much and have just been to pharmacy who won't give me anything anyway. Can't get to the dr till Thursday because of work.

Anyway, have been told by BIL to bathe eyes in a salt water solution but I stupidly forgot to ask how to make this up, how much salt etc.

Has anyone tried this, how do you do it and did it work?

Ta

purepurple Mon 09-Mar-09 17:41:09

would you put salt water anywhere near your eyes?
I wouldn't want you to come anywhere near my eyes with salt water!

I would just use cooled boiled water and clean cotton wool for each eye

Swank Mon 09-Mar-09 17:45:14

Just taken my son to the Drs as he has the same problem. I think salt water would help and be very soothing (what do you think tears are purepurple? wink)if you can't get any cream sooner.

Dr did say breastmilk was a common remedy too but I stopped feeding over 8 years ago so no chance there!

EyeballsintheSky Mon 09-Mar-09 17:49:43

It's only a mild salt solution to cleanse the eye area. No chance of bm here either as DD turned her nose up at that on day 2 of her existence!

We've been using boiled water but it's not having much effect.

purepurple Mon 09-Mar-09 18:04:37

urm..blush

a mild solution, doh!

I was thinking of salt baths when you have stitches and it makes it sting!!!

EyeballsintheSky Mon 09-Mar-09 18:54:16

LOL, perhaps not the best phrased op! blush

Come to think of it, I never could bring myself to lower my bruised and stitched bits into a salt bath after having DD

silverfrog Tue 10-Mar-09 08:40:01

I have just held conjuctivitis at bay with salt water, in both dds.

dd1 started off, took 3/4 days of bathing her eyes with salty water for it to clear, then dd2 had a minor bout of it, but just needed 1 day to clear it.

I did jump in at first opportunity, though, and it never really took hold.

No idea abot strength - I just bunged some salt crystals in water, and went from there.

I used a small syringe (like you use for meds sometimes) to squirt right into their eyes (not really squirt, that sounds wful, but gently direct straight to problem area) - it takes a lot of holding down, but then again so does using the cream/drops.

Chellesgirl Tue 10-Mar-09 22:35:44

Why dont you just buy th solution from the pharmacy? Its made by optrex in a green and blue box and comes with an eye cup.

Why will your doc not prescribe any chlorophenicol? Pharmacists can sell this over the counter if they can see clearly that you have conjunctivitis.

Chellesgirl Tue 10-Mar-09 22:39:03

chloramphenicol sorry! Always do that!

CharlotteCraig Wed 24-Apr-13 13:22:00

The best way to help with conjunctivitus is through the nose and ears.
It affects the whole of your head. Get an empty nose spray or syringe and fill it with a few drops of clove juice or tincture and garlic juice for a quick and effective way to help with all such problems. Give it a week or so before you see a benefit from it. No side effects. Oregano oil is also helpful. If there is any soreness then some aloe vera is helpful too. Using sea salt can help, so can using trace minerals. They all contain similar properties. The doctor can prescribe things but they tend to have lots of side effects and you can become dependant on them.
With natural remedies it often goes away never to return.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 24-Apr-13 15:16:01

Cold tea is even better than salt water as the tannins act as anti-inflammatories. Very old fashioned, but does work well.

wheredoistartmrs Wed 24-Apr-13 15:19:56

please don't put salt water in their eyes unles you want to torture them. put nothing in their eyes,it will cure it's self.

wheredoistartmrs Wed 24-Apr-13 15:20:46

it will clear in 3/4 days anyway so it makes no difference using salt water

SirChenjin Wed 24-Apr-13 15:23:29

My GP recommended a weak solution of Johnsons baby bath - worked a treat

BNmum Wed 24-Apr-13 15:44:04

A German doc recommended we use a camomile tea solution and cotton wool and it was the dogs bollocks at getting rid of all the eye gunk. He sent us to the pharmacy and when the cashier saw us she immediately reached for the camomile tea bags so it must be common practice in Europe.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Apr-13 15:48:36

*zombie thread*

OP is from 2009.

Sunflower6 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:52:04

My daughters gp told me if it was a mild infection to wash the affected eye with cooled boiled water obviously using a fresh piece of cotton wool with each wipe so as not to reinfect the eye and to go back for drops if it didn't clear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now