Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First symptom of tummy bug?

(31 Posts)
corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 20:45:14

Message withdrawn

wiggleit Tue 24-Feb-09 21:03:20

Hi bb! From what we know about these bugs then usually they v first then comes the d. My DD had really bad d for a while but no v. Just look back on all the advice you gave us! You're the one who we all turn to, we're not used to you coming to us for advice! xx

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:04:54

Message withdrawn

keevamum Tue 24-Feb-09 21:07:20

Yes I had diarrhoea first then vomiting so it does sound like she may have it. It was vile but am unsure if I made it a lot worse through alcohol consumption the night before.blush

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:08:36

Message withdrawn

wiggleit Tue 24-Feb-09 21:12:07

That wasn't meant to come across the wrong way, sorry if it did. blush

You are fab and i have you on the highest pedestal!

I would think (and pray) that your dd will just have the runs and tummy ache. My friend's dd had really bad d last week with tummy pains but no v.

I do know how hard it is to cope, i move out when any of my family are ill!

You are doing good bb, have faith in yourself and use what you learnt in cbt to help you, also we're all here for you. Sending you a massive hug! xx

NintyZelda Tue 24-Feb-09 21:14:54

Both of mine had the same bug last week, and it was the vomit first, bad bad nappies later. DS was sick on and off for a few days but DD got it all out in one go and wasn't sick again but still very under the weather but she is only 1yo and it was her first big bug!!
Good luck and hope your DD is ok,

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:15:58

Message withdrawn

wiggleit Tue 24-Feb-09 21:16:57

If it's any consolation, my friend's dd had the bug for a day but was quite bad while she had it, but as i said no v'ing. She is 9.

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:17:14

Message withdrawn

keevamum Tue 24-Feb-09 21:19:21

With me the bug lasted one day and a nasty headache the next day. DD2 it lasted for 2 hours and then back to her normal chirpy self the next day. It came on really quickly as if from nowhere but it disappeared almost as quickly.

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:20:13

Message withdrawn

wiggleit Tue 24-Feb-09 21:20:38

Be thinking of you tonight bb. It will be one of those 'sleepless.. listening out for every noise' type of nights! not nice! Hope your dd well soon. Hopefully it will just be d. xx

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:22:40

Message withdrawn

wiggleit Tue 24-Feb-09 21:23:39

Crossing everything too hun for you. XX

Tiggiwinkle Tue 24-Feb-09 21:23:53

BB-I have had a bug this weekend. No v. just diarrhoea, nasty stomach pains and no appetite.

And yes, if you are going to get both, the v almost invariably comes first-tends to start at the top and work down! (Fellow emetophobe here by the way).

I am sure your DD will soon be better.

Mintyy Tue 24-Feb-09 21:25:57

Oh dear bb! (tis eek a moo*e here).

D & V usually starts with vomiting.

In my (thankfully) limited experience, little ones can actually feel not too bad, even when they are vomiting. Despite my problems, which I know you understand, I do recall being happy, when my dcs had stomach bugs, that they could be relatively cheerful despite v-ing because then I knew they were not seriously ill and suffering too much. And despite the phobia, somehow that cheerful thought managed to find a space in my head somehow.

So, if your dd does v, she will very likely be much less fussed by it than you and I am quite certain that you will find it within yourself to be appreciative of that fact, iyswim.

And of course there is every chance that she will not!

But you will be fine either way. If it happens it will definitely definitely be less awful than you think its going to be! I promise you.

Take good care xx

corblimeymadam Tue 24-Feb-09 21:28:51

Message withdrawn

Dottoressa Tue 24-Feb-09 21:39:02

BB - hang in there!!!

I remember DS having various episodes of horrible d without the v. One d episode lasted for about five days. He was eating okay, but just kept having horrendous d. He must have been two at the time, as I kept having to empty the potty (sorry - TMI there!) I was terrified that it would lead to v, but it didn't. When DD was about 18 months, she had about four days of nasty d - again, with no v. I remember it well as DH's niece was staying with us from Oz, and we were terrified she'd catch it, so went even more overboard than normal with the antibac stuff!!

When DD had the dreaded rotavirus, she did have v, but I think it came on a day or so after the d, and she was very obviously poorly - temperature, listless, refusing all food and drink and so on. Again, DS had the d bit (quite badly - I lost count of how many times, but it went on for days), but no v.

BB - every episode is a test, and you have done fantastically well to get to the stage you're at. You are not hyperventilating and wibbling on the floor (as I would be): you're coping with the possibility, and that's a huge achievement.

I'll keep reading. Let us know what happens... x

Elibean Tue 24-Feb-09 21:59:08

And yet more evidence of current d-without-the-v bugs....dd had it a week ago, horrendous d (esp at night, for some reason) for a day or two, followed by 5 days of sporadic horrible pains and moderate diarrhoea. No vomiting or loss of appetite whatsoever.

I now have it too, and its much the same sad

Doesn't sound like the 24hr d&v bug to me!

Dottoressa Tue 24-Feb-09 22:04:11

<<big hugs to you, BB!>>

corblimeymadam Wed 25-Feb-09 09:01:08

Message withdrawn

Dottoressa Wed 25-Feb-09 09:43:14

BB - glad you had an uneventful night. It does sound as if it's a d-bug (she says with everything crossed). I think we can safely say that it's not the 24-hr d&v bug, though!

It sounds a bit like my DS's version of rotavirus (which I think it must have been in his case, as he had d when DD definitely had rota). Yellow d is, I gathered at the time, typical of rotavirus. Apparently all children will have had it by the time they're four; they can get it more than once; the first does normally - but not always - involves v, but subsequent bouts are almost always just d. So if we catch rota off our DCs, we'll get d, not v!

As you can see, I spend too much time looking this stuff up on the internet grin.

Hang in there, bb!! x

corblimeymadam Wed 25-Feb-09 09:49:10

Message withdrawn

Dottoressa Wed 25-Feb-09 11:17:48

I'm crossing everything for you, too!

Ah, the days of Disney princesses...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now