Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone heard of pollakiuria ? It means frequent peeing.

(8 Posts)
Rubineski Mon 23-Feb-09 10:34:22

I hope someone else out there has heard of this or at least recognises the symptoms.

Basically, DS is 5 yrs old and has been potty trained (night and day) for several years. Then suddenly he starts peeing every five minutes...am not exagerating. Where ever we go, he has to go to the toilet.

So I think it's a urinary infection. The doc tests but says no. And it's not diabetes either - which is often considered with frequent peeing - as he's not thirsty and drinking lots. Generally it doesn't cause him any physical discomfort. But it does upset him a lot that he has to keep going - so much so that he even tried peeing under the bed and behind the sofa, as he was sick of rushing to the toilet all the time. Plus once he cried and got very frustrated about the whole thing.

The doc was pretty useless and offered no suggestions, so I got googling and found some interesting mentions of something called pollakiuria - mainly on US websites. One particularly good blog is at:
www.bloggingniki.com/news/2007/06/25/jack-only-has-pollakiuria-and-brian-diagnosed-it-first/
It contains contributions from lots of other parents who have gone through this.It suggests that it's often linked to stress.

Now, DS is very outgoing and bouncy, but has had a few incidents recently when he was hit at school by other boys. I think he is so trusting that he just doesn't know how to deal with people not being the same happy, outgoing soul that he is. I think we need to do some kind of assertiveness training with him - sort of providing him with the lines to say in these situations because he just doesn't know how to deal with it.

Of course I'm assuming that's what it is - mixed in with general growing pains, etc.

It's all very odd and confusing. And now he's started wetting the bed lots too. I'm loathe to put him back in nappies. But last night he had two accidents - even though we also woke him twice to take him to the loo.

The only time he doesn't go every five minutes is when he seems totally happy and distracted. But then, at home (where I'm hoping he's pretty relaxed!) he's into the bathroom all the time. He doesn't even pee much. It's become like a tic or habit.

Any thoughts? ideas? similar experiences?

Elibean Mon 23-Feb-09 16:46:31

I don't, sorry, but bumping for you - hope someone can help!

I would probably be doing the same as you, focus on trying to help him talk about/deal with/get empowered re the school situation and try not to give too much attention to the peeing part - hard as that must be.

Elibean Mon 23-Feb-09 16:49:08

ps I might even, in an amateurish way, try doing something like getting him to colour/crayon how he feels when he feels as though he needs to pee? It might distract for a minute, and give him an alternative way to express something, iyswim.

If it goes on and is very distressing for him, though, I'd think the GP should offer something beyond reassurance that its not a physical infection. Play therapy, or something...my friend's dd was helped hugely by once a week visits to hospital playtherapy dept for poo related issues, for a few weeks. Just a thought, it does sound very upsetting.

MrsMcCluskey Mon 23-Feb-09 16:50:30

DS1 had this when he was aged about 5.
Literally going to the loo every 5 mins, car journeies were a nightmare.
We hadhim checked out and there was nothing physically wrong with him, there wasnt even anything goinng on in his life that was different, ie sstress or worry.
In the end we just ignored it, didnt make a fuss about the trips to the loo, and it just stopped of its own accord.
I had to bite my tongue a lot because like you siad he would be desparate to go and then when we got to the loo a dip would come out and that would be it.

MrsMcCluskey Mon 23-Feb-09 16:52:47

Lasted about 2-3 months IIRC

Rubineski Mon 23-Feb-09 21:52:59

Mrs M - thanks for your message. And Elibean too for bumping!

Feeling very upset at the moment. Just went up to see him - he's been asleep for about an hour (and had gone to the loo several times since going to bed) and has already wet himself. He just couldn't wake up as I cleaned him, kept falling over.

In the end, I've given in and done what I swore I'd never, ever do - put him back in night time nappies/pants. The poor boy has no control and he's just going to get wetter and wetter throughout the night.

Good advice about ignoring the peeing bit and trying to find out what's going on with him. Again, it may be nothing more than growing pains. But you can't help but worry. He got very upset after school today about general friendship stuff - people telling him to go away, not playing with him, etc. Yet when i picked him up at the school door and talked to his teacher, he was bounding round the playground, full of beans as ever.

have no idea what's going on.

MrsMcCluskey Thu 26-Feb-09 20:54:22

I wouldnt worry about going back to nightime nappies for a bit until this is sorted.
Hope it gets better soon.

BethPe Fri 07-Oct-11 19:13:16

Rubineski, how are things with your son? I know it's been a while since your post. Hope he's doing better now.

I'm relieved to see that others have had things like this too. I've come across your posts because my DS has been showing the same issues. Seems to have the same disposition as your son, cheery and bubbly, happy child. My son is 4 years old and a few months ago started preschool. Just recently he started being distraught about peeing in the bed (he has never wetted the bed and has been great at using the potty since he turned 3). He is up for hours sitting on the potty with only a wee amount coming out. This had only been happening the past 3 nights at bedtime. After he falls asleep he's fine, unless he happens to wake up then it's like starting all over again.

we were concerned about a medical reason like a UTI but my gp seems to be positive that it's not that. No tests done yet as we're hoping it'll just go away in a bit of time. You mentioned your son having some issues in school and I think I will contact my son's teachers to see if they notice anything. He hasn't mentioned anything to me but that he tries to play with other kids.

Just today he has gotten into sitting on the potty more frequently during the day. Seems that he feels he has to pee but just can't so he'll wait on the potty for sometimes an hour.

I don't know what to do as it's making the nights crazy and I feel I'm getting to the end of my rope. I know it's getting just as frustrating for him as well. I just want us to have nice easy going nights like they were before this issue started.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now