Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would worms cause a sudden very bad tummy ache (way TMI)?

(9 Posts)
littlelamb Sat 24-Jan-09 18:56:35

Dd complained of a tummy ache a few hours ago but I suspected it was just a way to avoid eating her tea hmm but now is bent over with pain She had a massive poo (sorry) about an hour ago but it didn't occur to me to look at it. She is complaining now of an itchy bum which is what makes me think worms. What can I give her tonight to make her feel better? Do I need to take her to the walk in centre in the morning or will a pharmacist be able to help?

Elibean Sat 24-Jan-09 19:29:49

Poor thing. I don't have all that much experience (dd had worms once, but no pain and not much itching, in her case) but would think if her bum has just started itching after a massive poo, she may have stretched or even torn her anal tissues a bit rather than worms....? Might be worth trying a bit of sudacreme, or vaseline, or something?

I've not heard of worms causing stomach ache, but one doesn't prevent the other!

If it IS worms, get Ovex (assuming she's over 2) over the counter for the whole family, and follow instructions re cleaning and re-dosing. If its some other cause of stomach ache (sounds likely, worms or no worms) she may need to see a doctor, sorry sad

littlelamb Sat 24-Jan-09 19:31:19

ELibean, would I know it was worms? I mean would I see them? blush

lostinnappies Sat 24-Jan-09 19:47:47

hello

ok I had a look back over past posts re worms (DREADING THIS BTW)

found this :

"The best thing to do is to wait until she has been asleep for at least an hour. Get a torch and examine her bum hole. You'll have to spread her cheeks to open it up. If she has worms they come out at night when person is sleeping to lay their eggs. Now you might not always see them but generally do.

If you don't see them, enquire to GP who will give you a slide and you should first thing in the morning (before she even gets out of bed) put cello tape over her bum hole. Cello tape will pick up any microscopic eggs which will be sent to lab for examination.

They won't always show up in poo. " - kerrymum

whomovedmychocolate Sat 24-Jan-09 19:51:29

It's VERY unlikely to be worms causing this - most likely she's strained doing a big poo and caused a small tear in the wall of the anus (called a fissure). This can cause itchiness.

A warm bath will help for tonight. You can check for worms obviously, or you can treat them (the GP can prescribe either Ovex or something else) or you can treat them with a specific hygiene routine for six weeks.

SgianDubh Sat 24-Jan-09 19:52:18

pehrpas it just wasnt wiped properly ?
i thought the itching normally happened at night?
have your washed her and dried her?

SgianDubh Sat 24-Jan-09 19:53:25

agree, worms dont cause tummy ache.

foxinsocks Sat 24-Jan-09 19:55:33

worms can give you tummy ache....I've had them twice (grrr from the kids) and they gave me griping pains grrr but certainly not sudden pains

the itchiness was very recognisable and she'd probably be doing it a lot more and a lot often than she's doing it

I agree it sounds more like that sore tummy feeling you get when you have a massive poo inside!

littlelamb Sat 24-Jan-09 20:19:44

Thanks for the advice. She was wimpering for a while but then went to the loo and I think has a touch of diarrohea, so I think it's likely to be an upset tummy rather than worms. But she says she's still itchy so I might take her along to get that looked at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now