Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poor DD - she has had a rotten run

(9 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 22-Jan-09 11:46:18

She has been constipated this week and after trying apple juice, raisins & dried apricots we tried a spoonful of 'Syrup of Figs' I used the adult dose (as she is 11)- so she is pooping for england now

I think I will use a smaller spoon next time blush

She has had; thrush, tummy upsets, a chest infection, an infection in her nose, constipation - I don't think she has managed a whole week at school since November - poor thing

She has a good diet and exercises lots

I just feel so sorry for her

stealthsquiggle Thu 22-Jan-09 11:48:40

Have the docs looked for any underlying cause, or is it 'just' a run of rotten luck?

KatyMac Thu 22-Jan-09 11:49:59

I think it's just rotten luck - I'm a bit that way myself this year

Her asthma is playing up a bit too so I think she is 'run down' - they don't do tonics anymore tho' do they?

herbietea Thu 22-Jan-09 11:54:22

Message withdrawn

stealthsquiggle Thu 22-Jan-09 11:57:27

Presumably they have reviewed Asthma meds, etc?

Stuffing her full of vitamins etc couldn't do much harm, at least?

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 22-Jan-09 11:57:59

You must both be rather tired and fed up by now. You poor things, I think the problem is being tired - from illness and lack of sleep (due to coughing/being ill rather than partying in this case) - stops your immune system from working so efficiently.

I speak as someone with a 4 yr old DS, who, although he only does 2.5 days per week at nursery, has only managed a full 'week' twice since October half term. Since then he has had tonsilitis x 2, croup x 2, laryngitis, the runs, a nasty cold, random high temps - many of which have disturbed his asthma - the list seem blardy endless.

He went back yesterday but DD (9) was off (and is off today) with a sore throat and high temp - I have severe cabin fever and if I don't get some adult conversation soon (DH is on his 3rd trip away since the start of the year) I will explode grin

I asked GP about a tonic too (and some vallium) but to no avail!

KatyMac Thu 22-Jan-09 14:12:34

i GOT SOME MULITVITS (oops sorry)

She is taking them - under duress

I think you are right we are both exhausted

uptomyeyes Thu 22-Jan-09 14:18:18

Poor girl sad

When my DS1 was about 4 he had a terrible few months, to the point where he couldn't spend a whole day in school, he needed to come home frmo school in the afternoons for a 3 hour nap. he was in a terrible state and it went on for months. I ended up in desperation taking him to a homeopath who did a full- and lengthy consultation and administered a "constitutional" remedy. We never looked back, he picked up within hours. A year or so later when he started with the same problems we went straight back to the homeopath and she did it again. You could try that - find a homeopath who has a lot of experience treating children.

I remember DH saying at the time that his reaction to the remedy was almost "violent" it was so extreme. It worked though.

KatyMac Thu 22-Jan-09 20:19:19

Well she has gone to bed very cross

She has done "14 poos & 12 of them were runny" and is "never, ever having Syrup of Figs again"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now