Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HOW DO I TREAT BABY ECZEMA?

(12 Posts)
HeyBaby07 Tue 20-Jan-09 14:26:37

DS is 7 months old, has had eczema behind his knees since he was tiny but lately it has got worse (redder) and is spreading to his thighs. Any advice on the best way to treat it? creams etc....?

NormaJeanBaker Tue 20-Jan-09 14:33:23

sea salt in the bATH WATER CAN HELP. SORRY BABY TYPING TOOIM

TartanPussyCat Tue 20-Jan-09 14:39:52

Ask your GP/HV for Epaderm cream. A simple emollient but worked wonders for ds. HTH

NJB - wouldn't salt exacerbate the problem by drying the skin out?

twoisplenty Tue 20-Jan-09 14:44:18

Put oats in a muslim bag (or I use a pillow case) and tie it with string, and put it in the bath water. It turns the water cloudy, but oats are so soothing, and helps stop the itch. It also softens the skin. I use it as soap in the bath for my dd as well.

I've seen this tip lots of times before on MN, so it can't be just dd that it works for!

I only used to bath my dd once per week as well. Obviously used to wash hands/face etc every day, but bathing used to dry her skin badly.

HTH

HeyBaby07 Tue 20-Jan-09 14:47:15

Thanks for these tips, I've just read some other threads recommending the oats and also not bathing so often (others say you should bath regularly so I bit of conflicting advice) I guess each baby is different and what works for one doesn't for another.

Milkmade Tue 20-Jan-09 14:48:00

We found Oilatum bath oil made a huge difference for dd.

One other comment, if it has just started to spread, dd caught impetigo at one point, and we thought it was just the eczema spreading, and then made matters wirse by applying cream hence spreading it further - if there's a significant change in his skin may be worth a quick trip to the docs.

twoisplenty Tue 20-Jan-09 14:50:57

Yes, same for us Milkmade, the skin looked redder, and "bumpy", and then suddenly we realised it was impetigo when it spread rapidly. Good thinking...forgotten all about impetigo.

HeyBaby07 Tue 20-Jan-09 14:52:45

What is impetigo? the spreading on the thighs is 2 very round patches of red skin, slightly raised

TartanPussyCat Tue 20-Jan-09 22:10:35

Hi again, Impetigo is an infection of the skin(staphylococcus aureus I think but don't quote me) where it starts from one point and spreads outwards and the rash becomes crusty yellow scabs. But from what you describe those very round patches are classic eczema. I reckon it would be worth a trip to the GP's regardless, epaderm is a great emollient but ds also needed a mild hydrocortisone cream to properly knock it on the head (as it weresmile He hardly uses it at all now (he's 18 months btw)

Ah I was right! Def don't think it's impetigo. HTH

madeindevon2 Thu 22-Jan-09 16:08:31

i would def recommend getting referal to your local childrens excema clinic (if they have one) ask gp or health visitor.
different things work for different people.
i used elenas natural stuff see http://www.elenasnaturecollection.co.uk
also hydrocortisone creams for flare ups.
emollient in the bath is great too
i dont bath him every night. mixture of baths and showers.
salt i would think would be bad. having skin as moisturised as possible seems to help

littlelamb Thu 22-Jan-09 16:13:25

For my ds all the creams he was prescribed were useless (he is the same age as your ds) I found pictures of him last summer where he is just covered bless him, and nothing seemed to work. I would second not washing him every day, we did like to give him a bath with dd but now it is a bath maybe 2 times a week which is plenty. My friend recommended Dream Cream and Dream Wash from Lush and it has done wonders for him (worth nothing though that my mum tried some on her excema after I wa sso enthusiastic about it and it gave her a nasty reaction). Make sure you dry him properly, and maybe have him bare legged when he is crawling about if the problem is behind his knees. Oats are also very good in the bath - I first tried this with dd when she had chicken pox and now we have regular afternoons where we get a massive pack of primark cheapy tights and fill them with oats- great fun. Hope he is feeling a bit better soon

bronze Thu 22-Jan-09 16:15:55

I swear by hemp oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now