Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS in hospital for operation tomorrow - do I tell him???

(22 Posts)
norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 13:20:28

Ds is going in for adenoids and grommets tomorrow under GA, He also has asthma, so has had a fair range of hospital visits.
Last week he had his preop blod teat and freaked out, screamed for 45 mins then vomited for 12 hours sad

SOOO Do I tell him what we are doing tomorrow or explain as we go?

He has limited hearing and poor speech, so communication isn't always the best, he is quite young for his age( 2.10).

I feel bad as have explained it all to his sister (4) as she is having to slep elsewhere tonight and have various people take her to and from playschool for the next week.

I should have tried to explain it to him by now shouldn't I .

I'm beginning to get the wobbles.

Earlybird Mon 19-Jan-09 13:23:16

Yes, tell him asap. Not fair to 'ambush' him on the way to hospital. He needs to be able to trust you.

Good luck.

IAmTheNewQueenOfMN Mon 19-Jan-09 13:24:19

yes you should have told him
do it asap
not fair to dump it on him suddenly

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 13:26:03

I feel really bad, I just wanted to keep him safe as he hates the hospital but now feel really crap at having left it so late blush sad.

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 14:59:19

Ok, so bit the bullet and told him, and now wish I hadn't. sad
He keeps saying in his own loveable way "no hospital it's hurty, ouchy," then crying.

He then seems to forget for a bit then repeating the above.

I am terrified about the GA( and I have a medical background so its not the process, but it's my baby)
And we have a family of history of bleeding in surgery- non diagnosed thing- so am worrying about that too..

waffling now but beginnning to get anxious

nowtygaffer Mon 19-Jan-09 15:16:48

My DD had grommets operations at a similar age. She was very frightened of needles after a bad experience with a blood test. I remember buying her a new toy for when she came round after the GA, she was fine - I was a nervous wreck.

Perhaps you could promise him a special treat if he's a brave boy? I know it's really hard but it will go more smoothly if he's calm.

Good Luck x

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 15:20:52

I agree, it's just sooo hard TBH I think he as limited understanding of more complex issues, so can only link hospital with pain and tests.
how old was your ds

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 15:21:27

sorry you already said - see I said I was a mess

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 15:22:07

Did they use injection or gas with your DD?

nowtygaffer Mon 19-Jan-09 15:30:20

Hi, my DD was 2.10 the first time. I was about 8 wks pregnant at the time and I sobbed all the way down in the lift!! The nurse must have thought I was unhinged and then my mum piped up "she's pregnant"..! They used gas the first time but she has also had an injecion on a subsequent op.

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 17:34:28

how did you dc cope with the starving bit, ds is a real morning eater sad

After the blood test last week, I am really hoping they use gas

nowtygaffer Mon 19-Jan-09 19:21:47

I remember I had to wake her up at 5am to give her a drink which she didn't drink! I think the morning was such a rush that she didn't really notice that she hadn't had any breakfast. I also remember that after the op she was bouncing around the ward whereas I felt like getting going to sleep after the early start and the worry of it all!

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 19:32:15

Thanks NG tbh it is the morning and the going into the hospital that worries me DS cries every time we approach it now.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Jan-09 19:33:47

Message withdrawn

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 19:35:13

I think I will try that but with Buzz lightyear insteadgrin

Northernlurker Mon 19-Jan-09 19:40:19

Using Buzz is an excellent idea but the most important thing is you! If you are anxious he will be - so you need to really take a deep breath and keep it together because you're confidence will help him hugely.

Personally i'm a weeper - at any thing really - but if I really need NOT to vry then I think through the football offside rule in my head. It usually works. Think of something like that - plain, unemotional and slightly involved and use it. Be bracing and fun and positive. Take books with you and fake interest and excitement. You can do this and he will be fine - he's going to be much better after the op and the staff will take care of him like one of their own. Be positive - and fake it if you don't feel it!

norksinmywaistband Mon 19-Jan-09 19:43:29

just wish I could take you lot with me...grin
lol at the offside rule, great tip though as I am also a weepy

PlumBumMum Mon 19-Jan-09 19:52:45

Hi, northern lurker 100% right, hold it together my dd has had several GA of hosp since 2.10, ask for premed makes them drowsy and then if you can be strong just get the gas hug them tight and plant it over them it is traumatic and I always leave a quivering wreck but I know it has to be done and my dd never remembers shes 8 now and we will have it all to do again in the summer feel sick at thought! Hope this helps

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 19-Jan-09 21:25:08

Message withdrawn

Earlybird Wed 21-Jan-09 14:54:00

norks - how did it go? Hope ds was ok under the circumstances, and that this latest procedure is the last one needed.

norksinmywaistband Wed 21-Jan-09 15:20:43

Thanks Earlybird, Consultant said the procedure went well, and we should notice a significant improvement with his hearing but may require further proceduressad due to the nature of his breathing difficulties.
DS coped really well and is bouncing around today as if nothing happenedgrin

PlumBumMum Wed 21-Jan-09 16:28:51

You sound like you came out unscathed good for youwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now