Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Possibly starting periods early. Anyone have any experience?

(17 Posts)
OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 13:51:50

DD is 9. 10 in April. Recently her mood has been really up and down. Sobs inconsolably one minute, snaps my head off the next. Really moody. Complains of tummy pain a lot. Usually the moodiness would be because she was tired but she's been sleeping a lot recently.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to consider that she might be starting her periods if her aunts and cousin on DH's side all started around their 10th birthday.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Anna8888 Thu 18-Dec-08 13:52:45

Has she other signs of puberty?

OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 13:58:05

Her breasts are beginning to show a little I suppose. Still virtually invisible but for a skinny child she looks as she's put a little weight on there.

Grammaticus Thu 18-Dec-08 13:59:40

Would - erm - there be signs on her underwear that she was maturing, if she was? <cough>

pinkteddy Thu 18-Dec-08 14:00:08

I think she would be showing more signs eg: pubic and underarm hair. My DN has all of the above and hasn't started yet. How much does she weigh?

Anna8888 Thu 18-Dec-08 14:01:03

She could just be generally hormonal?

My DSS1 (13) is maturing quite fast right now and he is becoming very aggressive, which he never used to be.

RubyRioja Thu 18-Dec-08 14:02:04

7 stone is apparantly trigger weight.

OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 14:04:16

OK. grammaticus - no signs in her knickers yet! But as it went through this a long time ago I can't remember how it happened so I'm in the dark. Would there not be things happening before she actually started bleeding?

pink - no hairs anywhere yet. i don't know what she weighs TBH but she's very slim.

RubyRioja Thu 18-Dec-08 14:08:49

My 9yo is stroppy/moody. Her physique is still identical to my 6yo. I think it is pre-puberty (if there is such a thing) I believe the changes start 8-12 so is in keeping. We found super book - What is happening to me? that answered a lot of dds questions - and reminded me of lots of answers!

pinkteddy Thu 18-Dec-08 14:09:27

I think there is probably a little way to go. With the weight, agree with Ruby needs to be at least 7 stone IME and a bit more developed. Could be the beginnings of it all though.smile

OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 14:10:02

That would make sense ruby. There is something going on for sure.

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 18-Dec-08 14:11:30

...feels slightly sick at the thought of my mum checking my knickers when I was a child...

OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 14:15:47

I don't really need to check as such! As she leaves them lying around her bedroom floor hmm

Grammaticus Thu 18-Dec-08 14:20:04

I meant <whispers> discharge. Not blood.

OrmIrian Thu 18-Dec-08 14:26:45

Oh.... of course blush

christywhisty Thu 18-Dec-08 14:35:19

My DD is 11 and has been developing for well over a year now and had tummy aches and headaches but has not started yet. She has boobs and pubic hair and had a huge growth spurt

lilolilbethlehem Thu 18-Dec-08 14:40:58

DD is only just 11, little breast buds and the "underwear signs" already mentioned. I was in yr 6 when I started mine, so likely DD will be early too. I had quite well developed breasts and pubic hair by that time. Looking at DD's friends tho I'd say that the hormonal outbursts do kick in way (a couple of years) before periods. If they haven't done periods at school yet, might be time to have the chat with her just in case. Was actually starting to think I should give DD a little pad and spare knickers to take to school with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now