Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

GUMMY EYES SHALL I TRY COLD TEA?

(7 Posts)
Eilatan Mon 15-Dec-08 17:37:05

18 mth old with 2 red eyes, bit of sleep and creamy coloured gunk. He's almost definitely caused it by getting his baked beans EVERYWHERE yesterday!!!!Horses always respond well by having their eyes irrigated with a bit of cold tea (no milk or sugar!!!) Shall I try with toddler?

Cheers

DoesntChristmasDragOn Mon 15-Dec-08 17:38:46

Personally I'd use 1 teaspoon bicarb soda dissolved in 1 pint boiled water (and cooled before using as an eyebath/wash!)

Eilatan Mon 15-Dec-08 18:31:26

Good idea!

theSuburbanDryad Mon 15-Dec-08 18:33:31

Just wipe his eyes with cotton wool soaked in cool boiled water, or tea (if you really must).

It doesn't sound like an infection tbh, so just wiping it gently should clear it. Make sure you use different pieces of cotton wool for each eye though, just in case!

grin

shitehawk Mon 15-Dec-08 18:37:53

He's not a horse though!

Cool, boiled water for now - and a trip to the doctors if it doesn't clear up quickly. If it's conjunctivitis and not baked beans(!) he will need treating because it's very infectious.

Eilatan Mon 15-Dec-08 19:22:56

yes, have bathed eyes and they look ok now. I'll review in the morning and go to see GP in case it is conjunctivitis.

I'm not sure that he isn't a horse actually...well a naughty pony anyway, he gallops around, whinneys and snorts. And he can be quite hard to catch sometimes...

Not sure why tea, it works with equines when flies make their eyes run and sore.

I only transfer a few equestrian ideas to child care...

Eilatan Mon 15-Dec-08 19:23:00

yes, have bathed eyes and they look ok now. I'll review in the morning and go to see GP in case it is conjunctivitis.

I'm not sure that he isn't a horse actually...well a naughty pony anyway, he gallops around, whinneys and snorts. And he can be quite hard to catch sometimes...

Not sure why tea, it works with equines when flies make their eyes run and sore.

I only transfer a few equestrian ideas to child care...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now