Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Humidifiers....do they really work????

(6 Posts)
fordywastaylor Mon 03-Nov-08 09:44:38

Can anyone help? My DS is just starting again with a stuffy/runny nose, this must be about the 4th time since July this year! We did (eventually) get a course of antibiotics for the chestyness of the cough, which seemed to clear things up for about a week, and now its back again! TBH I feel I am living in the house of disease and viruses, we have all been struck down with coughs, sickness and the like. DS is 20 mths old and at nursery (I can hear you all now...its the curse of nursery) do these humidifiers help at night....is he too young to use that Vicks First Defence hand stuff??? Is it possible to send him to nursery in a Dettox bubble....ha ha I know thats not realistic but its so shattering this constant re-infection.....

bronze Mon 03-Nov-08 09:45:50

They helped with croup
BUT remember to remove all books etc from the room

TheMadHouse Mon 03-Nov-08 09:46:34

Both my boys have one in their rooms. DS1 has a recurrent chest issue and we find that it really makes a difference, espailly as we have put the heating on.

DS2 has one, but we only use it if he is snotty or getting a cold.

So in my hubmle opinion yes they work

TheMadHouse Mon 03-Nov-08 09:47:37

You must have it on way too high if you need to remove books or it create condensation. The aim iot to get the reletive humidity above 40 which is about what it would be outside at this time of year

fordywastaylor Mon 03-Nov-08 09:50:33

I don't have any heating on at night, well not after about 9pm, and not until 6am. His bed is propped up at one end, and I use olbas oil on his pj's, maybe its just the time of year. We were out yesterday and so many children had that horrible cough that you just can't stop.

scrambledhead Mon 03-Nov-08 10:46:56

We bought one in desperation after 4 years of croup but it's up in the loft in its box after just 1 outing. It didn't help and the wallpaper paste started dripping down the wall!!!

Maybe try and borrow one before you spend loads of cash? I wish I'd done that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now