Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chickenpox - how long will it last?

(6 Posts)
jm54 Sun 02-Nov-08 19:15:47

My 22 month ds got his first spot last night, and is now covered in them. I'm 37 weeks pregnant, having a section on 13 Nov - somebody please tell me ds will be fully recovered by then? Luckily both me and DP have had it before, so hopefully immune.

WinkyWinkola Sun 02-Nov-08 19:17:46

Five days for the spots to scab over and maybe up to ten for the scabs to have fallen off?

Once they're scabbed, he's not infectious. Although the most contagious time is just before the spots arrive.

Hope all goes well with the birth of your new baby!

DoNotAttempttoblowupparliament Sun 02-Nov-08 19:19:23

His is only contagious for the next 5 days. Spots will last a while though. DD3 first had spots about 3 weeks ago...and they are still very much PRESENT.

jm54 Sun 02-Nov-08 21:25:19

Thanks both! 5 days not too bad. Don't mind him looking spotty for longer, as long as he's better and not infectious. So far he seems quite chirpy with it, so fingers crossed it won't be too big a deal.

DoNotAttempttoblowupparliament Sun 02-Nov-08 21:38:50

I would just mention it to MW/consultant - so that they are aware.

I know that it can be v v serious for newborns. As I say though (and as I understand) he only needs to be quarantined for 5 days; mostly infectious beforehand I think.

DD3 was fine with it. If the spots are itchy Piriton is good wink

Lonnie Sun 02-Nov-08 22:28:00

Having just been through chicken pox with my dd3 (went through our small village school) we were told by the gp that the latest reccomendation is they are infectious up until 4 days after the last spot appear.

Highly irritating for us as dd3 had mega easey version of CP where all spots where out by Monday and scapped over by the wednesday but due to this she has just had 2 weeks of from school (the week before half term and then half term)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now