Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

i've absolutely terrified myself by googling dd1's symptoms...can anyone help me?

(13 Posts)
eighteenstonesix Sun 02-Nov-08 18:09:18

She's 9 and a half.
About 5/6 weeks ago she had diarrhoea and constipation at the same time.
Think she's possibly still having a few tummy pains.These were accompanied by minor cold like symptoms.However,for the last 3 or 4 weeks she's complained of a sore throat and a "dry" throat but not all of the time.Plus,she has a cough....but not all the time either...which she's also had for about 4 or 5 weeks.I'm terrified.Any doctors online?

VinegarTits Sun 02-Nov-08 18:11:00

Have you taken her to your gp?

eighteenstonesix Sun 02-Nov-08 18:19:04

no, which is unusual for me really but i didn't think it was anything to worry about with it being so spasmodic.thing is, i've read now that a cough should be looked at if it goes on for more than 4 weeks etc.i'm terrified there's going to be something really wrong with her.

tulip27 Sun 02-Nov-08 18:30:23

It could be gastric flu?

watsthestory Sun 02-Nov-08 18:31:23

Message withdrawn

eighteenstonesix Sun 02-Nov-08 18:31:43

I did wonder about that but would it go on for so long?

robinpud Sun 02-Nov-08 18:32:11

The diarrhea and constipation is entirely normal; if she had an impaction or blockage then it's hard to open your bowels, but as you try and o so , some runny liquid like motions can escape. If that's not resolved, then a short course of movicol will sort that out.

Coughs and colds are normal, and often , as part of a cold the gland in the tummy swell which can cause them to feel tender.

Make an appointment to talk to yuor GPO and don't waste your time googling, it's unlikely to do either of you any good at all.

eighteenstonesix Sun 02-Nov-08 18:33:28

Yes,it was like one minute she couldn't go and then the next minute it was like brown water (sorry,tmi!!!)However,that seems to have passed.It's the throat and cough i'm concerned about...and today she coughed at one point and said she thought she'd tasted blood....!?

AMumInScotland Sun 02-Nov-08 18:33:35

Diarrhoea/constipation/tummy pains coud be a reaction to a food that's disagreeing with her. And cough/sore throat etc may just be a virus. Googling syptoms is never a great idea, there's always so many horrible things it "could" be, but most of them are very rare. A trip to the GP should rule out the bad possibilities.

watsthestory Sun 02-Nov-08 18:34:49

Message withdrawn

tulip27 Sun 02-Nov-08 18:35:00

bowel parasite with co incidental cough? Take a stool specimen to gp. Also could taste blood as has coughed so hard.

Elibean Sun 02-Nov-08 19:12:15

The throat and cough thing could be as simple as post nasal drip from lingering or multiple cold virus/es, or allergies to house dust (I get this every autumn when heating goes on). It honestly doesn't sound like a scary sort of cough, but yes, do go to GP. Peace of mind is a big part of what they are there for, or so mine tells me smile

eighteenstonesix Mon 03-Nov-08 12:30:29

Took her to docs this morning.He said her throat and her chest are fine so he's given her an antihistamine....Cetirizine...to try to get rid of the tickle.Touch wood,nothing to worry about according to doc.smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: